How to Use the Samsung Galaxy S5 Fingerprint Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyline100

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Quoted from theverge:"Samsung’s version requires a vertical swipe over the home button to activate the scanner, and we found it to be quite unreliable and virtually impossible to activate when holding the phone in one hand."

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
This kind of feature was a bit of a gimmick in higher-end consumer notebooks from 2006~2009 before it faded away. I imagine it will also fade away from the phone market in due time.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
This kind of feature was a bit of a gimmick in higher-end consumer notebooks from 2006~2009 before it faded away. I imagine it will also fade away from the phone market in due time.
i dunno about that, it is almost as easy as slide to unlike (same motion infact)... except you dont have to worry about typing your PIN/draw pattern or pocket dials plus you get security...it could be great for those bad behaviours such as keep checking your phone without having to insert the pin all the time...

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Really Samsung? I love android but even I have to admit that this is the lamest feature to add to their flagship smartphone. Quit copying Apple's desperate decisions to be different and make your own original stuff.

Ramshot

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
Motorola Atrix did this like 4 years ago and worked better because the reader was on the back top so it was easy to hold and slide finger. Talk about non innovated or exciting.

Zebble

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
How easy is this feature to use if an article needs to be written about it? This type of tech should really be so easy and intuitive to use that you don't notice it. Looks like Samsung has fired and missed on this one.

It is easier and safer than Apple's implementation (where you can lift the print off the reader), besides you can scan your print at any swipe angle and it will be unlockable unless you repeat the scan at that angle, making it more secure.That being said, I am still against using my biometrics on a phone. We already know Apple is "partnering" with the NSA, I don't need more of that.

The Indomitable

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
Motorola Atrix did this like 4 years ago and worked better because the reader was on the back top so it was easy to hold and slide finger. Talk about non innovated or exciting.
That's not the point, they said Apple "popularized"

Status
Not open for further replies.