How to use two Internet Connections at the same time ?

dimebt

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Hi .
We have a network with 11 PC's and we have 2 internet connections (ADSL Connection 512/128 & Cable Connection 512/64) is it possible for using these connection at the same time (downloading a file with a speed of the booth connections 1024/192). Our network map image is: Network Map !!! PLEASE FOR HELPP!!

Smiley

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004
Another way is connect the two external connections to one of your computers using two NICs and that computer do the routing (will end up using 3 NIC total). Routing software can then keep track how much traffic is going through each link and choose the best path to use. Since you have so many computers and NICs are inexpensive… this might be cheaper for you than a getting a dual WAN router?

Look at http://www.zebra.org/. I tried OSPF routing with zebra for this sort of stuff for a short time but haven’t touched it for awhile…

G

You know, saving money is a nice thought but what you just suggested is analagous to a plumber explaining how someone could save money borrowing a welder and connecting joints on their own.

Leave it to the professionals, dime. It's worth the money.

Smiley

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004
I don't know about the plumber analogy... :p Can also be viewed as calling a plumber when all you need is replace a washer to stop the leaking. :wink:

Anyways, is really for Dime to decide plus we don't know what kind of services (if any) are running on those computers. If Dime already got a Linux box running some services and it can take the load of routing, why not?

Off the shelf networking products are easy to use and generally reliable but just remember you are trading control for that. :)

dimebt

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
All Computers is running on WinXP Pro Service Pack 2 and to point that one connection is in one bulding and the second connection is in different building!! I heard that Win Server 2003 could make this problem working!! Any other sugestions??

Smiley

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004
Sorry, I am not much of a Windows networking person and can't really suggest how to do the cabling from your diagram and your phyiscal description...

If Win Server 2003 can make it work, I would guess is some form of software routing (i.e. similar to what I suggested). :) I would go with Netjustin's dual WAN router box over using Win Server 2003 (that's just me, as I said, I personally favor Linux for networking). :D

Legendsailing

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
Hi there,

I am currently connected to the internet via wireless through my wifes Iphone 5 on my Advent netbook, which is running XP home, I am downloading a pretty large file and everytime I tried to open a Google search page to find out if I could use two internet connections, it wouldn't load.

So I connected my own mobile phone via bluetooth opened up a new explorer window and hey presto here I am. The file I am downloading through my wifes phone via wireless is still loading at the same bit rate. But now that I have connected my mobile via bluetooth I am able to use this connection too.

Is this a quirk of bluetooth or might it be possible to use an ethernet cable to the same effect.

Ric Ackland-snow

Reputable
Mar 29, 2015

Ric Ackland-snow

Reputable
Mar 29, 2015
The only way I know of is to use some Bonding Software (www.sharedband.com) which resides in the Routers (2 or more) and provided each router is connected to a unique DSL enabled telephone line connection the software discovers the other routers and directs traffic down both connections in a dynamic way so packets are directed along each pipe depending upon the speed. So if one line appears to have more capacity more packets will be directed via that line. A cloud based Aggregation Server reassembles the traffic and sends it to its destination. The result being that you get a faster connection (pretty much the sum of the two) but also resilience so if one line goes down the upload/download simply carries on rather than stopping

Watch the dates on the posts this is very old. Problem with any of these vpn bonding services is you trade one issue with another. There is no cheap way to solve the packet out of order problem when the latency on the 2 paths you have is different. The end devices interpret the out of order packets as data loss and you get retransmission. If it gets bad enough the session drop. So to say you get a faster and more stable connection is only partially true. For things like video streams and games it actually is worse since you these are more affected by packets out of order.