How to use USB ports?

inquiring

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2002
Hello..I have (2) USB ports on my MS Natural Pro kb and (4) USB ports on my SONY monitor. However, I noticed that these USB ports do NOT connect to my mobo. How then are these USB ports of any use and how are they supposed to be used?
Thank you.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
does your keyboard plug into one of the usb ports on your computer? does your monitor have a plug that goes to the usb port on your computer? they are probly usb hubs.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015

inquiring

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2002
Yes the kb plugs into a USB port that goes directly to the mobo....whenever Ive connected any USB device tho to the kb there is no result...so how does the kb manufacturer expect the USB ports to be useful if I cant fgure out how to activate them?

inquiring

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2002
USB is active in (2) ports wired directly to/out the mobo. The problem is that the (2) USB ports on my USB kb and the (4) USB ports on my SONY monitor DO NOT transfer any data whatsoever to any camera, printer, or web cam that I have attached there. I realize that the kb and monitor USB ports are effectively "hubs" but why put them there if they are "dead"? What good are those USB ports if the do not work?

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
You have to install the software that came with your keyboard. I have the Microsoft Internet Pro Keyboard, which also has two USB port on it, and it works perfectly.

Check in the system manager(USB controllers) if you have the Microsoft Integrated USB hub.

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies

inquiring

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2002
My natural Pro software is installed and shows under Device Manager USB COntroller as the Integrated USB hub. I cannot activate any peripheral from either MS kb USB port. I learned that the hubs need to be "hot" (i.e. powered) else the data will not be sent or received from that "cold" hub port. Scanner and printers esp seem to need "hot" USB hub ports which essentially renders these 2 USB ports on my MS kb useless. Ive another 4 port USB hub here that is not powered and it only operates when ported directly to my mobo USB. If all hubs were the same then why are there hot and cold hubs?

TRENDING THREADS