[SOLVED] How to use win7 OS drive as second drive in win10

Jul 5, 2019
My win7 box died so I want to put the win7 drive into a win10 box as drive2 so that I can access my files. When I connect the win7 drive, then win10 will not boot.

Solution
As a secondary drive, the Win 7 drive should be no problem.

The best way to do this is with a USB SATA dock. With that, you can power on the Win 7 drive after Win 10 is booted up.
Jul 5, 2019
As a secondary drive, the Win 7 drive should be no problem.

The best way to do this is with a USB SATA dock. With that, you can power on the Win 7 drive after Win 10 is booted up.
Bought a Sabrent USB 3.0 SATA hard drive docking station and plugged it in. When I power it on, I see the device in the device and printers listing and then a File Manager window pops up with the drive as F: showing the folders on that drive. It also show an E: drive labelled as Recovery. However, in about 20 seconds that window goes away and the device is no longer recognized.
Any ideas on what is happening?

Jul 5, 2019
If you have another compatible drive, try that in the docking station.
Just to rule out the dock being an issue.
Don't have another one laying around, so will keep playing with this one to see what's up. The docking station has a power indicator light that starts flashing when the display goes away. I'm have no idea what that means but will go search for some info on it.

USAFRet

Titan
Don't have another one laying around, so will keep playing with this one to see what's up. The docking station has a power indicator light that starts flashing when the display goes away. I'm have no idea what that means but will go search for some info on it.
On my dock station, the light comes on initially, then flashes after a few seconds, and then the drive contents become visible.

Jul 5, 2019
On my dock station, the light comes on initially, then flashes after a few seconds, and then the drive contents become visible.
Just looked at my dock station a bit closer and it does what yours does. The initial set of folders are visible but it doesn't seem to want to drill down into any of them. When I try to open a folder it spins for a few seconds and then the window goes away.

TRENDING THREADS