[SOLVED] How to verify data loss on external hard drive?

airtas

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
I accidentally removed my external usb drive without ejecting.
The next time I connected the drive Windows 10 prompted a scan to fix errors.
They were fixed after the scan and the hard drive connects fine but this drive is loaded with pictures and music.

What exactly did Windows fix and is there a way to find out if a file was lost?

Solution
You should check manually. Assuming this is your backup drive, then you may use some folder comparison software to check if the file structure is equal on both locations. For windows, there is a simple program called Treecomp, so you can do a manual check very effectively.

When you remove a drive just by pull it out without ejecting, then windows should do a check next time the drive is connecting regardless if there is a corruption or not.
You should check manually. Assuming this is your backup drive, then you may use some folder comparison software to check if the file structure is equal on both locations. For windows, there is a simple program called Treecomp, so you can do a manual check very effectively.

When you remove a drive just by pull it out without ejecting, then windows should do a check next time the drive is connecting regardless if there is a corruption or not.

Solution
D

Deleted member 14196

the way to find out if anything is lost is compare the entire drive to the entire backup you made of the drive. if you don't have backups, this is your MAIN issue

TRENDING THREADS