[SOLVED] How to wake up computer with Wake Up key?

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I'm running Win 7 Ultimate x64 and am using a wired USB keyboard with three power keys - Power, Sleep and Wake Up. The first two work but the Wake Up key works only if I enable waking from USB in BIOS; but then the computer wakes up with ANY key press, mouse click or movement.

Is there any way to enable waking the computer from sleep with, and only with, the Wake Up key?

Last edited:
Solution
Issue is that for the keyboard to send the wake command, the USB wake command needs to be on. That does not care what causes it to wake, it just senses a signal to the port. That is why I said it depends on the keyboard, it would need to do something special in it's firmware to disable the other keys till the computer was woken up with the special key.

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
This is a standard PC keyboard. The three power keys - Power, Sleep, Wake Up - are often (but not always) located above the PrintScreen, Scroll Lock, Pause keys respectively.

The Power key can be used to shut down Windows and the Sleep key puts the PC to sleep, each with a single press of the key and without any special settings in Windows. I like the convenience of these functions and have been using them for a long long time.

Keyboards with the three power keys used to be very common in the old days, but not anymore. In fact, it has become rather hard to find them, which is why I'm using an inexpensive model made by a minor brand in my country.

It's not convenient for me to take a picture of my keyboard now, but a Google Image search for "computer keyboard with power keys" brings up several results. Like this one - https://i.redd.it/vieplwyqz7v21.jpg

Some mark the keys with symbols instead of words, like this Dell keyboard - View: https://i.stack.imgur.com/idMFG.jpg

Issue is that for the keyboard to send the wake command, the USB wake command needs to be on. That does not care what causes it to wake, it just senses a signal to the port. That is why I said it depends on the keyboard, it would need to do something special in it's firmware to disable the other keys till the computer was woken up with the special key.

Solution

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
IIRC it was the same with a PS/2 keyboard and with older OSes. The Power and Sleep keys work but not the Wake Up key. I'll see if I can dig up an old PS/2 keyboard with the three power keys. I just might still have one somewhere.