[SOLVED] How to Wall Mount Ultrawide Monitor

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
Hi I have a quick question. What's the best of these three ways (or another I haven't proposed) to place my curved ultrawide monitor while attaching it up to the mounting bracket before mounting to a wall? (or are they all fine?) I have a 34" curved ultrawide Alienware monitor. I am concerned over the fragility of the monitor and don't want to harm it while hooking up the mounting bracket. I know I'm being ridiculously cautious but this is my new baby! :) Thanks!

1. Simply put it bottom side down on a table or bench then screw in the mount/adapter bracket into the vesa adapter receiver on the monitor. I worry a little about pressure on the buttons on the bottom right - the monitor is very heavy.

2. Put the monitor face down on a soft material (I have microfiber cloths) then hook up the bracket. I worry about the weight flexing the curved frame of the monitor and possibly damaging it.

3. As indicated in the quick start guide in step 4, just place the monitor face down on the packing foam it shipped in. I worry about possibly having got some dirt on the foam which could scratch the monitor - I have microfiber cloths I could put over the foam to protect the monitor though. But then I worry about pressure on the monitor from the cloths. Screens aren't even close to that sensitive right?

Solution
Unless you're a gorilla, don't worry about the pressure you're going to exert on the monitor edges while you're screwing the VESA plate to the back. Sounds like you're cautious enough to be careful not to stand on it. I'm typically more concerned about scratching the screen so i prefer soft but flat surfaces.

If your particular wall mount doesn't have a removable VESA plate, AND doesn't have the slotted top VESA holes (I own all 3 types), then you can use household objects to shim up the wall amount to an approximate height needed to mount it to the back of your monitor. Get creative!
Unless you're a gorilla, don't worry about the pressure you're going to exert on the monitor edges while you're screwing the VESA plate to the back. Sounds like you're cautious enough to be careful not to stand on it. I'm typically more concerned about scratching the screen so i prefer soft but flat surfaces.

If your particular wall mount doesn't have a removable VESA plate, AND doesn't have the slotted top VESA holes (I own all 3 types), then you can use household objects to shim up the wall amount to an approximate height needed to mount it to the back of your monitor. Get creative!

Solution
Hi I have a quick question. What's the best of these three ways.....
3. As indicated in the quick start guide in step 4, just place the monitor face down on the packing foam it shipped in. I worry about possibly having got some dirt on the foam which could scratch the monitor - I have microfiber cloths I could put over the foam to protect the monitor though. But then I worry about pressure on the monitor from the cloths. Screens aren't even close to that sensitive right?

Option # 3... with or without the cloth

Option #1 could cause the display to tip over or get scratched by table or bench and even break.

Option #2 could cause the display to flex and could damage it.

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
Thanks. Any idea why the manual would say "For use only with UL-listed wall mount bracket with minimum weight or load bearing capacity of 29.1 kg" (64 lbs) when the monitor only weighs 16 lbs?

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
I don't think it's a typo because here is the complete sentence:
NOTE: For use only with UL-listed wall mount bracket with minimum weight or load bearing capacity of 29.1 kg (AW3418DW)/27.6 kg (AW3418HW).
Weird...