How to watch free digital TV at fringe of range with my notebook computer?

swampwiz

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
Here's my situation. I don't have a TV, but only watch sports live. Up until now, this has been satisfied by simply streaming the program. Unfortunately at my location now, I can only get 768K DS: (AT&T U-verse) :fou: :fou:, so streaming is problematic. I live about 50-60 miles from the nearest broadcast antennae, which is right on the fringe of the reception range as per the FCC maps. :(

So I was figuring on getting some type of USB digital TV tuner that would have an associated app to show the programming, and because of the distance, some type of antenna that would be able to pull in the weak signal.

What products should I get? I would prefer to get a quick reply so that I can buy this at Amazon and have it working for the games next weekend. Thanks

Solution
I did a little research on this. I am also about 50 mi from digital signals. There are lot's of diy instructions on the web on how to build a good antenna. You can buy them also. The biggest problem is that they are very directional. You really have to have them pointed in the exact direction and secure. If that is OK for you you can build one pretty cheap.

hans_pcguy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
I did a little research on this. I am also about 50 mi from digital signals. There are lot's of diy instructions on the web on how to build a good antenna. You can buy them also. The biggest problem is that they are very directional. You really have to have them pointed in the exact direction and secure. If that is OK for you you can build one pretty cheap.

Solution