How to wipe computer, uninstall win 8.1 and install linux in it's place.

Nov 12, 2018
I did some googling around and even searched this forum but I couldn't find anything. I have the files that I wish to keep backed up, but how would i go about:
1. Wiping my laptop
2. Installing Linux in the place of windows 8.1

Any help would be appreciated.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, formatting a drive for an OS install is typically handled by the OS installation. Then it would be whatever steps to install your OS of choice.

Interestingly, an easy way to wipe a computer is to boot a Linux distro, and re-format and partition the disk from there. Then you could install Linux permanently. If you just want to play with Linux there are plenty of bootable roms out there that will run only in memory.

USAFRet

Titan

During the install process, it will give you options on what to do with the current drive.
One of them is to wipe the whole thing, and use the entire disk. Assuming there is no data on that drive you wish to keep, that would be the choice.

Nov 12, 2018

So i just DL the distro and run the installer, and that'll do the wiping for me?

USAFRet

Titan

It will give you the choice of exactly what to do.
You want to tell it to use the entire disk. It will wipe whatever is there, and create whatever it needs.

This is a LinuxMint install, giving you the options:
NoiZ4jD.png