Question How to wipe HDD?

jerfop12

Commendable
Dec 16, 2017
Hey,

I got an SSD with windows 10 on it.
And i got an HDD with windows 7 on it.

I want to get rid of the windows 7 & use my SSD (win10) only.

My question is:
How do I do this?
Are there any tutorials for it that aren't too hard to follow?

There are two ways to do this. If you want to use both at the same time, then boot into the Windows 10 SSD, open the File Explorer, and right click the Windows 7 HDD. Them, choose format, and format to NTFS with default settings.
If you want to sell the drive, download DBAN from https://sourceforge.net/projects/dban/files/dban/dban-2.3.0/dban-2.3.0_i586.iso/download, then use Rufus (https://rufus.ie/) and select the DBAN iso and create it on a USB. Now, make sure the only hard drive on the PC is the one you want to erase, and put the USB into your PC. Then, boot into the USB (from the boot menu or BIOS) and wipe the drive.

popatim

Titan
First step is to unplug the HDD sata cable (when the pc is off) and make sure Win10 loads.
Windows has the annoying feature of actually installing the boot files on a drive that isn't the one where you tell it to install Windows...

I assume you will be keeping the drive so all you need to do is run diskmgmt.msc (right click it and run as admin)
In the lower section you will see your drives listed on the left (Disk 0, Disk 1...) and thier partitions on the right.
Right click on the partitions and select delete.
Once the drive has no partition you can Rt click it again and select format.

If you plan on selling or giving the HDD away then DBAN is the way to go.

jerfop12

Commendable
Dec 16, 2017
First step is to unplug the HDD sata cable (when the pc is off) and make sure Win10 loads.
Windows has the annoying feature of actually installing the boot files on a drive that isn't the one where you tell it to install Windows...

I assume you will be keeping the drive so all you need to do is run diskmgmt.msc (right click it and run as admin)
In the lower section you will see your drives listed on the left (Disk 0, Disk 1...) and thier partitions on the right.
Right click on the partitions and select delete.
Once the drive has no partition you can Rt click it again and select format.

If you plan on selling or giving the HDD away then DBAN is the way to go.
I just want the HDD to have no windows 7 on it, just want to have windows 10 (which i got on my SSD)
So I wanna keep the HDD, just have it wiped.

TRENDING THREADS