how to wire a push button to be a pc power button

david0n

Prominent
Jun 16, 2017
i am trying to make a diy off case power button and front panel box, i found this that i am going to use for the power button but i want to remove the power switches and solder a push button i am wondering how i should wire the - and + wires from the kit into the prongs on the button

Solution
Yes, that's the perfect switch for you. Its switch contacts are Normally Open and it is a momentary-contact (when pushed) switch. It has separate terminals for the LED which is designed to work with a supply voltage from 3.4 to 12.0 VDC, and that's ideal for the signal available from the "Power LED" contacts of the Front Panel header on your mobo. In the SoundOriginal kit you linked, the leads from the Power LED connectors to the green LED are the ones you would connect to the LED terminals of the switch.

Three item to pay attention to in making those connections.
1. The switch appears to have four solder terminals. Two of them will be for the switch with labels like "Com" and "NO". The other two will be the LED connections with labels...

david0n

Prominent
Jun 16, 2017
is this the right type of button? and do you mean that it doesnt matter which prong i solder the positive and negative wires to?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
getochkn's first reply is correct, but not the second on one important point. The matter of polarity is correct - polarity does NOT matter for the On / Off switch or the Reset switch.

What IS important is that you have chosen the wrong type of switch! What you need for both those functions is a momentary-contact switch only, that is, one that shorts together its two contacts while you push and hold it, but then opens the contacts immediately when you stop pushing. This is exactly like a doorbell pushbutton. What you have shown us in your link is a "latching" switch that closes its contacts and KEEPS closed when you stop pushing. The only way to open the switch contacts is to push and release again. That switch can NOT be used for a computer On / Off or a Reset pushbutton.

There is another issue with the switch you chose. The LED mounted inside is designed to operate on 12 VDC. The original intent of that switch was for use in cars, and the simplest way to use it is to connect the switch contacts' output (12 VDC) to the LED terminals so that it lights up when the switch is closed. But in a computer, the power for the front panel LED lamps that must be connected from the mobo "Front Panel Header" terminals for "Power LED" supplies 5 VDC. I really doubt that you could use 5 VDC to light up a LED designed for 12 VDC.

So, you really need to find a different switch. It needs to be momentary-contact (NO for Normally Open) for its two switch contacts. IF you want one that also contains an indicator LED with its own separate power supply terminals (that you could wire to the mobo terminals), that LED should be designed for 5 VDC supply. These features are already part of the wiring accessory from SoundOriginal and sold by Amazon that you linked to first. But I'm guessing you want the buttons and lamps to look different.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, that's the perfect switch for you. Its switch contacts are Normally Open and it is a momentary-contact (when pushed) switch. It has separate terminals for the LED which is designed to work with a supply voltage from 3.4 to 12.0 VDC, and that's ideal for the signal available from the "Power LED" contacts of the Front Panel header on your mobo. In the SoundOriginal kit you linked, the leads from the Power LED connectors to the green LED are the ones you would connect to the LED terminals of the switch.

Three item to pay attention to in making those connections.
1. The switch appears to have four solder terminals. Two of them will be for the switch with labels like "Com" and "NO". The other two will be the LED connections with labels like "+" and "-", I hope. The polarity of the SWITCH contacts does not matter. The polarity of the LED contacts DOES. So, connect the leads for the switch first to the "Power SW" (Red / White) wires of the SoundOriginal wire set.
2. From the two "Power LED" wires of the set, connect the one marked "+" to the switch's LED "+" terminal, and the other to "-" terminal. To make sure you got that right, you could use any 6VDC battery to connect to the two LED leads and ensure the polarity labels are correct. If you connect it backwards, no problem. The LED can deal with any voltage less than 12 VDC. If connected backwards, it merely will not light up.
3. IF, after it's installed, the switch etc. all work but the Power LED (or the HDD LED) does not light up at all when it should, try just reversing the connections for that LED at the mobo Front Panel header.

Solution