[SOLVED] How to write boot record to a new disk

depakjan

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2007
I recently got a new laptop, I wanted to use my other SSD for my default OS and installed another windows 10 in this SSD, but now if I remove the drive that came with the laptop , my laptop does not boot anymore, looks like MBR or GPT or whatever is not written into my SSD and BIOS is not recognizing my SSD as a bootable disk, how do I make my SSD as bootable now.
I have done this in the past using DISKPART but I have lost those instructions, can someone please help with this

Please note, its not BIOS selection issue, if I just have my SSD connected , there is no "Windows boot manager" at all in bios, which means its not finding any bootable disk

Last edited:
Solution
installed another windows 10 in this SSD, but now if I remove the drive that came with the laptop , my laptop does not boot anymore
Reinstall windows with only single drive connected.
If you want to avoid reinstall and make bootloader partition manually, then show screenshot from Disk Management first.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
How do you connect "your" SSD? This being a laptop it might only boot up from the first sata port which is were the original SSD is connected.

Easiest way is to connect the ssd without mbr to a working system and deploy a MBR using the free version of easyBCD.
With diskpart you have to do it while creating the main partition losing everything on the disk you just use
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
SELECT PARTITION 1
ACTIVE

Reactions: depakjan
installed another windows 10 in this SSD, but now if I remove the drive that came with the laptop , my laptop does not boot anymore
Reinstall windows with only single drive connected.
If you want to avoid reinstall and make bootloader partition manually, then show screenshot from Disk Management first.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Reactions: depakjan
Solution

depakjan

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2007
Thanks I am sure my laptop can boot from any connected drive.
I want to avoid reinstalling, so I guess I will try using easyBCD and also for good measure I will attach my Disk management screenshot .

I have easily done this using DISKPART, I remember something like to creating another small partition of 200mb or something run BCD commands and it started working easily.. I just don't remember and forgot those steps :( damn..

I have easily done this using DISKPART, I remember something like to creating another small partition of 200mb or something run BCD commands and it started working easily.. I just don't remember and forgot those steps :( damn..
Yes. That's exactly, how you do it.
But those commands are not universal. They depend on partition configuration of your boot drive.
So - you can not simply remember them. You have to adjust them specifically to your config.
Would look similar to this.
diskpart
list disk
select disk x
list partition
select partition y
shrink desired=500
create partition (primary or efi)
format (fat32 or ntfs) quick
(active)
assign letter=Z
exit