NoobPcBuilder22

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
hello , tom's hardware community , i have a problem right now , and hopefull i can have a solution for this..
My HDD are making a weird tic tac sound that dont let me start windows so i unplugged the hdd and my pc are working without problem , but the real problem is , i know this hdd may be dead or about to so , there a way i can recover the data that hdd have it ?
i need a sata to usb adapter? like this one ? Link
is there a factible way to recover the data ?
hope you guys can help me.

Regards.

Solution
Hey there, NoobPcBuilder22.

Well it looks like this adapter should do the job since it can be externally powered as well (because 3.5" drives can't be powered only via the USB ports). You could either connect it externally or internally (via a standard SATA connection) to another computer, to see if the HDD is recognized properly. If not, you could try accessing it via Ubuntu Live USB/DVD (this is a freeware, bootable, portable version of Linux), to see if that OS is capable of recognizing the partitions and if you can get to your files and recover them. If that doesn't prove useful, you could give it a go with data recovery software: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/filerecovery/tp/free-file-recovery-programs.htm.

If nothing seems to be...
Hey there, NoobPcBuilder22.

Well it looks like this adapter should do the job since it can be externally powered as well (because 3.5" drives can't be powered only via the USB ports). You could either connect it externally or internally (via a standard SATA connection) to another computer, to see if the HDD is recognized properly. If not, you could try accessing it via Ubuntu Live USB/DVD (this is a freeware, bootable, portable version of Linux), to see if that OS is capable of recognizing the partitions and if you can get to your files and recover them. If that doesn't prove useful, you could give it a go with data recovery software: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/filerecovery/tp/free-file-recovery-programs.htm.

If nothing seems to be able to do the job, perhaps going for a professional solution, such as a data recovery company, would be your safest bet.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
Boogieman_WD

Solution

IceMyth

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
Hi,

The tic tac sound most probably when a hand that responsible for reading/writing has a problem. I looked this up and seems the best thing and if there are an important data is to send it to a tech who can fix the hand or help you to get the data. As it seems the HDD is not dead.

So send it to a tech guy ask him to fix it and to take a copy of the data (You can provide him with external HD to put the data) as a safe measure. Also you can buy HD Enclosure (In case it is fixed) so you can use it as an external HD.

Regards,