News How Tom's Hardware Tests, Rates and Reviews Tech Products

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
@apiltch thanks for the article.

I followed a link from one of your product reviews, hoping to find some detail on how CPU & GPU power consumption is measured. It would be nice if you could update this article with additional such details.

One reason I'm interested is that I'm wondering if there's a way I can take isolated CPU (or, at least motherboard) measurements, in my own system, to evaluate the efficiency of my cooling solution.

The other reason is just to know how to interpret the power measurements in your reviews, especially when it comes to comparing your results to those published elsewhere.

Last edited:

rabbit4me1

Honorable
Jan 2, 2017
Sorry guys I really don't believe that your tests are completely unbiased You're always going to support your sponsors you might do a little negativity on them but you always tend to be pushing Dell products and most of them are junk.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
you always tend to be pushing Dell products
I guess you're talking about laptops or monitors, because I think that's the only Dell-branded stuff they review. Here's a recent Dell laptop they rated at only 4 stars:

Meanwhile, here's a Framework laptop they reviewed about the same time, granting it 4.5 stars and an Editors Choice award:

It's easy to cry foul, but you should be prepared to substantiate your allegations.

Regarding sponsors, I assume their advertising is handled through a 3rd party intermediary. Do you know differently?

Last edited:

apiltch

Editor-in-Chief
Editor
Sep 15, 2014
We rate products based on how good we think they are and whether we think they are a good choice for readers who are in the market for that type of product at that budget. A lot of companies buy ads on our site, but the editorial team are not in sales. What matters to us is giving you good advice. I know that sounds trite, but it's the truth.

Nobody here got into tech journalism to get rich. We're lucky to make a living doing it and we never forget how lucky we are to get to test out tech and share our observations with you. Our obligation, always, is to tell the truth.

Reactions: bit_user