How tough are SSHDs?

TheMostManlyMan

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014
I accidentally dropped a new hybrid drive on the floor today (onto tile from about 3 feet) while it was still in the box and cushioning (plastic with air, like bubble wrap but more protective). It didn't look or sound like it hit very hard but I just want to be sure that if it's broken when I try to transfer to it tomorrow (waiting for an extra SATA cable) that it's likely because of the 25% (according to it's reviews) that are broken on arrival.

Thanks a ton!

~Manly

Solution
Not a problem.

You aren't going to damage a drive that's wrapped up in protective shipping packaging. I'm not sure why 25% are apparently BOA but that sounds more like a bad manufacturing run then anything else.

SSHD's are basically identical to regular HDD's when comparing "toughness".

Can you post a LINK to the site showing the bad customer reviews please?
Not a problem.

You aren't going to damage a drive that's wrapped up in protective shipping packaging. I'm not sure why 25% are apparently BOA but that sounds more like a bad manufacturing run then anything else.

SSHD's are basically identical to regular HDD's when comparing "toughness".

Can you post a LINK to the site showing the bad customer reviews please?

Solution

TheMostManlyMan

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014

Here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178380

Looking around on newegg most hard drives have about a 25% DOA on them. Thinking about it that's most likely because people are more likely to review something if it goes horribly wrong than they are if all is well.

~Manly