How Trump's Trade War Could Break Your PC Budget and Stifle Innovation

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dcorley

Commendable
Jul 7, 2018
The world is going to end.
Or, President Trump will win the tariff war. Them, $500 Billion exports. Us, $168 Billion exports.

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013

I'll stick with my sourced data provided by the Trump administration - if you think even the info provided by Trump's own admin is "fake news" when it contradicts your points I can't help further. And you do realize you just posted a link to the "Free Beacon"? The same site that reported Hillary Clinton and her campaign director ran a child prostitution ring in the basement of a pizza place - a pizza place that had no basement?

Just yesterday the unemployment rate went from 3.8 back up to 4.0. Tax cuts are starting to reverse progress.

Source (again, Trump's own admin): https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000

The article fails to mention why the tariffs have been put in place...because China already has tariffs in place on American goods or outright prohibitive practices in effect amounting to a 507 billion dollar trade deficit with China. Trade with China needs to be mutually beneficial to both nations not just to China...no American should be ok with funding Chinas economic and military expansion at the cost of American jobs and manufacturing capability so they can save a few bucks on a monitor or other item. Just like in all other business, when a void opens up in a business segment someone else will step in and fill it...no one should have any long term concerns about a trade war with China...as soon as they start idling plants and people they will be back asking to settle.

njwhite

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Like most of the media, you are focusing all your attention on the negative effects of Mr. Trump's actions. He is trying to undo decades of trade negotiations that crippled or completely ruined our manufacturing base and cost us millions of decent paying jobs. He's going at it vigorously and has the attention of the rest of the world. In the short term, there will be winners in the US and losers. In the longer term, the country will benefit overall.

You are just not paying attention if you do not believe that imported goods - and especially Chinese goods - are being unfairly subsidized and otherwise aided at the expense of US produced goods. Let's give this effort some time before we condemn it.

Do you believe that selling prices are determined by cost of production? Only partly so. Just look at the recent run up of Graphic card prices when the demand increased suddenly.

phantom_e

Prominent
Sep 30, 2017
This isn't TRUMP'S TRADE WAR! There has been a supposed "Trade War" for decades, with China being at the forefront: from technology theft to huge tariffs on imported products while they subsidize products to artificially depress prices of products coming into the U.S. All of those cheap products are great, but come a a price in other ways. It's time the U.S. straightens out these huge trade deficits. We have the F.U. (Financial Unity) money to make that happen.

phantom_e

Prominent
Sep 30, 2017

Exactly why things need to be corrected. Trump's a business man, and it's like he said: manufacturing has been leaving america because it cost too much in taxes and regulations,etc. just to start and run a plant. He's set it up now that the U.S. is again an attractive place to do business again; dropping taxes and regulations, allowing full write-offs for equipment the first year purchased, etc. It's about time the U.S. holds other countries accountable for their unfair trade practices.

astro-john

Reputable
Jun 23, 2017
So you think it's OK for other nations to tax OUR goods yet we should let THEIR products into our markets untaxed? Only in liberal-land......

pensive69

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
Correcting the incorrect past trade situation isn't easy and isn't pretty.
if i was a larger mfg company i'd seriously consider what i want to do and where i want to do it....
having a lot of business in Communist China i'm struck by how much their mandated government is against what really is free trade, against citizen freedoms and against free commerce.
it's Communist China against the world.
they are the minority report.

Jul 7, 2018
Weve been in a trade war with China for 40 years, but only they have been throwing the punches. Germany has already folded. Calm tf down.

Jul 7, 2018
If adding $5-$10 a build breaks your budget.........Maybe you should start looking for a new job....... we've been getting screwed by China for decades..... finally somebody's doing something about it

lsatenstein

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2012
Since Canada and Europe are not in retaliation mode with China, we foreigners will benefit from lower prices. China, to continue to sell to the USA will drop prices.

One advantage of a one party "Dictatorship society" is the abiilty to withstand any financial attack by the USA. In fact, since the USA products are going to cost more, they will be selling much fewer outside of the country. Intel and AMD and computer manufacturers such as HP, DELL, etc. are going to absorb the higher costs and not pass them on to the consumers.

Exporters of products sold outside the USA will have duty drawbacks. It may be cheaper to buy American goods outside of the USA than for Americans to buy their own products.

schwatzz

Distinguished

I'm pretty sure most Trump brand clothing and Ivanka's line are Made in China

schwatzz

Distinguished

Looks like farmers are going to get screwed over, at least in the short term, due to soybean and pork tariffs. Steel workers look like they are going to get screwed over, and maybe auto workers.

emeraldsmines1990

Proper
BANNED
Jul 5, 2018

You are wrong. no one will buy US products If they are made in USA... they will buy Chinese proucts and the US industry will suffer and fail to export.

People started buying US products worldwide on a large scale only when US companies moved their business to China.

where a worker is paid $300 only ... you cant pay workers $300 only in USA , and this has nothing to do with lowering taxes.

Also the land and rent is much cheaper in China as well. and the infrastructure and maintaining it.

You will make Jobs Right but you will never sell much and the prices will go sky high .

chrisbryant

Reputable
Jul 4, 2018

Citing OLPC is more about pointing to an early adapter that showed it wasn't impossible. I volunteered for OLPC a while back, my daughter used the system, and I worked on some custom code for it before moving on. My experience from the end-user perspective was actually very nice; I'd hate to have been the first couple iterations of business people, though, who had to figure out the economics of it. However, I wouldn't consider OLPC a failure. I urge you to talk to folks there and read about how many kids have been positively affected in the last couple years alone. This project still lives in some sense, it still aims to achieve ethical and forward-thinking goals in terms of getting knowledge and education into the hands of under-served global communities. It's not the same organization it was, but there is still a community working on the future OLPC, and folks supporting early releases of the hardware; imagine that.

I don't disagree the early version had issues in both quality and cost, but the project has proven resilient and still stands as an open hardware model. I'd say lets help the future OLPC prove open hardware can and will work, and for both emotional and business reasons! I argue that open hardware is viable, projects like OLPC are the baseline and the future of open hardware can only get better.

Read this very well written overview of the project and what's been done, where it is now, and where it could potentially go.

OLPC’S $100 LAPTOP WAS GOING TO CHANGE THE WORLD — THEN IT ALL WENT WRONG
https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/16/17233946/olpcs-100-laptop-education-where-is-it-now

emeraldsmines1990

Proper
BANNED
Jul 5, 2018

your guess is wrong. news like BBC and Independent and others are not Technology source . they dont know anything about technology. They are news channels and most of what they say in science has a wow factor nothing more.

you need true info about AI and Robotics , dont goto news channel , Read Technology Magazines , Science Magazines and educate yourself.

You will never have a Robot Judge for example forget it. AI is based on Huge Databank you feed them , and you write an algorythm to make them choose from that Huge data bank the Right thing to do in some Situation. That is if they dont have the right Data in that Databank they will never be able to act right. they cant innovate , or think Ideas ... they REPEAT older Fed Experiences.

This is totally different from Human Mind and how human mind works.

For example, If A Crime has new things that never happened before , The Ropbot Judge will never be able to Solve it .

The Robot Judge will never have Smart ideas as well , to expose a criminal , or to know if a false witness is lying or not using a trick for example. unless that thing was repeated before in another crime and that case is repeating itself.

The Robot can never Innovate , can never think new IDEAS.

and Science Failed to find how the brain finds an IDEA. even scientists when asked how you got that idea , they say we dont know it just comes to my mind.

how do you expect to program a Robot with something you dont know how it works to begin it ?

no one knows even 1% of how the brain works and thinks.

your Robot Judge and Robot Lawyer will be defeated by a first year Lawyer student. forget it . this is Science fiction. and the people who bluff about it in the news are LYING. it is just a WOW Factor nothing more.

The Robots will Allways do what they are fed. they will never have their own experience. and I mean here by Experience , something new as an IDEA , not experience like data collected over time.

That is the differenc ebetween a SMART Judge and A dummy Judge .. one will have IDEAS . and the other will ?Jujst go by the book.

your robot will never even beat the Dummy Judge who goes by the books.

and by the way , it is very easy for a smart Witness and a smart lawyer to defeat the so called Ropbotic Judge ... Just look into old cases that the witnesses convinced the Judge for example , and tell the witnesses to repeat the same Pattern , the stupid Robotic Judge will find this pattern in his Databank and believes the Lying acting Witness.

and so on ...

Status
Not open for further replies.