Question How undervolt Ryzen 2600 + MSI 450 Tomahawk

Jul 14, 2019
Hey!
This is not specifically about overclocking but I would like to make an offset of the volts to lower the temperatures somewhat which is now around 50 in Idle (with low speeds on the fans) and around 72 when I max out BFV (with the fans at max) with Noctua l9x65. Anyone know if this is a good idea? And if it is what settings should I touch in the bios if even possible?

Can add that I'm not super-worried about 72 degrees at high load, but always nice to get lower. What I mainly want is to get a little lower in Idle and that it should not have to work almost at all with the fans then, because when it is at 50 in idle (not completely idle, has some tabs in Chrome up etc) the fans still work so much that you clearly can hear them if you are in the same room doing something else, would like it to be a few degrees lower there and be basically silent. But maybe is hoping for too much? And maybe other settings can be the reasons why it is too loud in these situation?
All input is appreciated, but above all whether the undervolt can be a good idea as well as whether it is possible and how.

Sincerely
Joonteee

Jul 14, 2019
Identify the problem before applying a solution.
The solution you're trying to apply is undervolting.
The problem has not been discovered.

50C at actual idle is pretty warm. Why is it like that?
Yes, I know and I appriciate all input and sugestions. When I set all fans to 100% and in allmost complete Idle (i dont turn all programs runnning in the background of, so cpu utility is maybe fluctuating between 1-7%) cpu-temp stays at around 40 degrees which still seems quite high? I guess the first thing I will try is to reapply the cooler, but am not sure what i can do differently. I saw a youtube clip where they tested alot of different pasteapplicationsmethods and concluded that it really dont matters that much and I tried to set all the screws as tight as possible, could they be too tight? I guess i can play around with that. Do you have any input to this?
With that said, isnt it allways smart to only give the cpu as much voltage as it really needs to lower temps and longer lifespan?

Thanks!
Joonteee

USAFRet

Titan
For the CPU, the safest thing is to leave things at their default.
They are designed to run at that voltage and deliver 100% of whatever GHz they are supposed to.

Don't decrease the voltage to achieve lower temps.

40C ? That is absolutely NOT high.

Jul 14, 2019
For the CPU, the safest thing is to leave things at their default.
They are designed to run at that voltage and deliver 100% of whatever GHz they are supposed to.

Don't decrease the voltage to achieve lower temps.

40C ? That is absolutely NOT high.
Hmm, that makes since!

Regarding temps, not even when considering all fans are at 100%?
When the fans are at auto it idles at 50 with the fans still very noticeable and when I set them to be silent it idles at around 60.

Sincerely
Joonteee