Question How Updating Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Does anyone know the following? If there are 2 updates windows 10 wants to install and the first one is a security update to version abcd and the SEOCOND one is a whole new build, abce, does the update to abcd still have to be installed?

In other words, does that security update carry voer to the new version, thus must still be done?

I have had an issue for like months, where updates failed to install properly and windows had to be reset over and over. Now it has 2 updates it wants to restart to finish installing and one is an update to the current version.... where similar updates have failed over and over, and the second one is a whole new build of win 10.

Windows update automatically installs updates in the recommended order. If there are updates available for the current Windows version which are required in order for an update to a new version of Windows to install properly, then it will automatically install them first. That applies to other updates as well. Of course, not everything Microsoft intends to work a certain way DOES work that way, for EVERY system. Since there are millions of possible hardware configurations based on the many different components out there that might be installed and might have something in their driver framework that conflicts with something else, there is no 100% fool proof method that always works.

The BEST way to install a new version of Windows is to go to the media creation page, create new media using the latest Windows release version, and then do a CLEAN install, which is NOT the same a re-install, upgrade, in place upgrade, or installing over the top of an existing version of Windows.

Full process outlined here:

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
The problem there is that a fresh install of the same version many times acts differently than had you upgraded to that same version. I may take a chance and try restarting, but if it fails I have to reset windows yet again.

I have no clue what you are talking about. A clean install is the ONLY way to install a new copy of Windows, or a Spring or Fall update, and do it correctly. I don't have any idea why you would NEED to do it "many times" as a single clean install of the latest Windows ISO build is all that should be necessary unless there is a hardware issue of some kind. Upgrading ALWAYS brings problems, AND, in some cases, both upgrading OR doing a clean install of the latest version MIGHT bring problems, because for practically every single Windows 10 version release since the first one, there has been some kind of issue with one hardware family or another until it was patched by either the hardware vendor OR Microshaft. Sometimes that takes two months, sometimes it takes two days.

For that reason I usually recommend waiting at least a week after any new release for both Microsoft and the hardware vendors to release their patches, before you upgrade or clean install to the latest version. Even so, a clean install is always the better option and a "fresh" install is not necessarily the same as a clean install. You can do a fresh install right over the top of the existing installation, or format the C: partition and then install Windows to that, but neither of those things are a clean install as you will learn if you bother to read the tutorial I wrote and linked to.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Clearly you didn't read what I said.
  1. A fresh install working properly does NOT guarantee that an update will work properly.
  2. I said nothing about having to do a fresh install many times...… I said my windows has an issue where I ALREADY had to keep resetting it over and over and EACH TIME it had different issues afterwards, proving that the same update can cause different issues even on the exact same pc.
So before being insulting about how you "have no clue what i am talking about", read more carefully, as I said nothing similar to what you're claiming I said.

Also my issues have been going on for MONTHS, with totally different updates involved.

Either way, I risked restarting again and then there were more updates and I restarted yet again and so far they've all worked. So I am on the latest build now, apparently. Soon building a new pc, so it's about irrelevant, but still good to have it working for now.

I said nothing about having to do a fresh install many times...…

Actually, that's EXACTLY what you said.

The problem there is that a fresh install of the same version many times acts differently than had you upgraded to that same version.

I think what you MEANT to say is, in many cases IF you clean install, it will act differently than when you update, and that's the whole point, and that's the whole reason WHY you clean install rather than update or upgrade, at least when a major release comes out.

And as far as updates go, when you do a clean install of the LATEST version, after it is released, which should be anytime now, there shouldn't be a need to do any updates right away. And once you do a clean install of the latest version, when there ARE updates, if something doesn't update correctly then you either have something wrong with your hardware configuration OR you are intentionally doing something with the system configuration that is screwing it up. Nobody else has that problem repeatedly that I've seen, so it's a sample of one.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Nope. You just assumed.

Also, you clearly don't know how Microsoft handles thigns if you think a fresh install of a latest version means you won't have to update for a while. lol. They constantly have more and more and more updates and I never said that a new BUILD caused my issues. My issues were happening on updates for the same build I was already using.

Fact still remains that a fresh install tells you absolutely zero about what doing an update on a current install will do.

Whatever my friend. I've been working with Microsoft's operating systems since version 1.0. as well as building systems and installing those operating systems, as well as many others, for over 30 years. Since you are so knowledgeable, I'd assume my help is not needed here so good luck to you and whatever it is you're trying to accomplish.

It's possible I'm simply not understanding what you're doing or wanting to know, but if that's the case I'm chalking it up to the fact that your ability to explain it seems to be lacking.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
I love how you're still acting confused on what I ant to accomplish when I already explained it very clearly. I said windows was screwed up (the usual for Microsoft products) where I could NOT ever restart it or shut it down or windows would not start back up. I theorized that maybe I could skip updates for my current build and go straight to the update for the latest build and was asking if the updates for the old build HAD to be done before the new build could be installed.

Either way I already said it apparently fixed itself by me leaving the computer on for weeks until the latest updates weren't as screwy as the others, apparently, so now it so far seems to restart properly without ruining the OS again. And no matter how long you've used windows, it doesn't make it true that if a fresh install works it automatically means that version would work as an upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.