How Upgrade-able Is This Old Build?

ivinvirus

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015
So few years ago I bought this pre built "Gaming PC" from eBay, I wasn't a big expert on the components knowledge so I just bought it based on flashy images and texts

Here's the hardware list/specs:

• CPU:AMD A8-7650k
    GPU: AMD Radeon R7
Note: CPU and GPU are not individual components, its an APU

• RAM: 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 800MHz
    Motherboard: Gigabyte F2A88XM-HD3
    HDD: 1TB Segate
    SSD: None

Question 1:
In early months when I bought it, the computer was running very smooth but right now its alright... I mean its not producing fps greater than 100 in small games like Minecraft, the first time I opened Minecraft with this pc, I had 500fps... Why is there is a big decline in performance? Any solutions?

Question 2:
Anyways to the amazing people out there, what do you think I can easily upgrade and see a dramatic jump in performance? I have savings of around 300-400$, So I may be able to afford some Components, what are your thoughts?

Solution

SSD will help, but not in fps. SSDs make your system snap faster. But getting faster RAM will. 800MHz is really slow. 1600MHz is bare minimum, and now (in...
well for Q1:
minecraft have updates dude, and with more content, the game will be heavier

Q2:
i would rather u upgrade to a whole new PC, sell this one off, then build a new one, if it's for gaming here's a spec u can consider:
msi h110m gaming
pentium g4560
2x4 DDR4 ram / 1x4 DDR4 ram
the rest can be used for a VGA
about 100$+
RX 550 and 460 2gb is present
about 150$+
1050ti and rx 470 4 gb is present

this kind of build will be able to give u high fps on online games like Dota, CSGO, etc
on AAA games fps will be good enough on med setting

well for Q1:
minecraft have updates dude, and with more content, the game will be heavier

Q2:
i would rather u upgrade to a whole new PC, sell this one off, then build a new one, if it's for gaming here's a spec u can consider:
msi h110m gaming
pentium g4560
2x4 DDR4 ram / 1x4 DDR4 ram
the rest can be used for a VGA
about 100$+
RX 550 and 460 2gb is present
about 150$+
1050ti and rx 470 4 gb is present

this kind of build will be able to give u high fps on online games like Dota, CSGO, etc
on AAA games fps will be good enough on med setting

ivinvirus

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015
Minecraft was just an example, I don't play it that often but it was the only game that I had some fps memory of since I never ran bench tests or anything. I can't completely sell off the unit because It's my daily driver. I may do it during holidays(I'm a uni student). but seriously besides completely replacing the unit, is there seriously no upgradibility on this pc?

I had some assumptions like getting an SSD, improving RAM to higher MHz or capacity(16GB), or maybe upgrading the CPU to Ryzen 5 or 7 but idk how to check if the motherboard supports certain GPU/CPUs and stuff

Upgrading ur CPU depends on the Mobo slot dude, if it's not AM4 ryzen won't fit
For the driver, u can just use the old driver and sell of the rest of the components to build a new and better pc

SSD will help, but not in fps. SSDs make your system snap faster. But getting faster RAM will. 800MHz is really slow. 1600MHz is bare minimum, and now (in 2017) 2133MHz is minimum. But 8gb is enough. As for CPU, Ryzen is awesome, but you need a discrete GPU. Intel, on the other hand, has a GPU worked into the i3/i5/i7. If you are tight on budget you could get a i3 and add a discrete GPU later.

Solution