How upgrade Bios on Dimension 8250 ?

My Dimension 8250 has the Dell Bios A02, it runs with Windows XP Pro
SP1, update to SP2 will happen soon.
The Dell site shows that for my Service Tag and PC a Bios A04 is
available with a size of 2,175,163 Bytes.

But for the download three different files with very different file
sizes are offered:

> BR71461.exe; Floppy; This file contains a compressed (or zipped) set
> of files. Download the file to a folder on your hard drive, and then
> run (double-click) it to unzip the set of files. Follow the
> instructions to create a set of floppy diskettes, and then use the
> diskettes to complete the installation.

Downloaded it has a size of 496,800 Bytes, with which a Floppy disk is
created.

or:

> D8250A04.EXE; Non-Packaged; This file format consists of a BIOS
> executable file. To use it, download the file and copy it to a
> DOS-bootable diskette. With the diskette in the floppy drive, reboot
> the system and run the program.

Up to noe not downloaded.

or:

> R71461.exe; Hard-Drive; This file contains a compressed (or zipped) set
> of files. Download the file to a folder on your hard drive, and then
> run (double-click) it to unzip the set of files. Follow the
> instructions to complete the installation.

Downloaded it has a size of 2,175,163 Bytes. Started it creates a
folder on the hard disk and offers a choice to create a floppy disk or
not.

Could someone help me which download I need in which case?

Hans

"Hans Eberding" <heberd@despammed.com> wrote in message
| My Dimension 8250 has the Dell Bios A02, it runs with Windows XP Pro
| SP1, update to SP2 will happen soon.
| The Dell site shows that for my Service Tag and PC a Bios A04 is
| available with a size of 2,175,163 Bytes.
|
| But for the download three different files with very different file
| sizes are offered:
|
| > BR71461.exe; Floppy; This file contains a compressed (or zipped) set
| > of files. Download the file to a folder on your hard drive, and then
| > run (double-click) it to unzip the set of files. Follow the
| > instructions to create a set of floppy diskettes, and then use the
| > diskettes to complete the installation.
|
| Downloaded it has a size of 496,800 Bytes, with which a Floppy disk is
| created.
|
| or:
|
| > D8250A04.EXE; Non-Packaged; This file format consists of a BIOS
| > executable file. To use it, download the file and copy it to a
| > DOS-bootable diskette. With the diskette in the floppy drive, reboot
| > the system and run the program.
|
| Up to noe not downloaded.
|
| or:
|
| > R71461.exe; Hard-Drive; This file contains a compressed (or zipped) set
| > of files. Download the file to a folder on your hard drive, and then
| > run (double-click) it to unzip the set of files. Follow the
| > instructions to complete the installation.
|
| Downloaded it has a size of 2,175,163 Bytes. Started it creates a
| folder on the hard disk and offers a choice to create a floppy disk or
| not.
|
| Could someone help me which download I need in which case?
|
| Hans

You probably want option one which will create a bootable floppy disk with
the flash program on it for you.

Option two would require that you use a boot disk you created and then copy
the flash program to said disk.

Option three it looks like runs the flash program from the hard drive. Not
an option I'd choose unless the system being flashed had no floppy drive.
(but then I'm old ;-)

Which ever you choose follow the instructions carefully. A botched BIOS
flash will render the computer unusable until repaired and can be difficult
to recover from.

I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Thank you, it sounds reasonable. If so, why can't Dell write it there?
Was it outsourced to India?

Fri, 03 Sep 2004 11:21:21 GMT HillBillyBuddhist wrote:

> Which ever you choose follow the instructions carefully. A botched BIOS
> flash will render the computer unusable until repaired and can be difficult
> to recover from.

An additional gain from creating a floppy disk was the readme file
there. It shows that there are only few additions in Bios 04 against
Bios 02, and these are for other configurations then mine.

So I think I better abstain from upgrading at least for now.

Hans