Question How UPS draws power from outlet?

May 28, 2019
I wish to buy UPS for my PC, my question is how many watts my UPS draws from the outlet?
For example, my PC load is 500 W, I have 1000 VA UPS. I connect my PC to UPS and UPS to power outlet, do my UPS draws 1000 W from outlet? Or will it draws 500?
I just wondering if I will have to pay more electricity bill if my PC load is less than UPS's capacity.
Thank you.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Exactly, as said above, it would draw as much as the load (your PC) requires when providing the load (PC) with required power (output stage) and in your case it can't be more than 500W.

The UPS would actually start providing the PC with power the instant the power from mains is cut (before that power just goes through it like a wire unless needs charging) and then it uses power from it's batteries to keep whatever is connected to it ON for a while when mains is cut.

The UPS uses electricity to charge its batteries though so it actually uses some electricity when the mains are connected and it needs to charge. The wattage depends on the mains voltage and how much current it draws to charge the batteries.

Reactions: bejomulyono
May 28, 2019
Thank you for your kind answers. So in other words, the UPS would only draw as much as the PC load needs + UPS battery charging (if it needs charging)
I'll remember that, thank you friend for helping me with my questions.

Don't forget though, everything above is true on how it works
The trick is getting at least 1000VA which will be enough to maybe last 4-5m on your PC so you have time to shutdown - depending on your computer specs.
So the higher the VA the longer you have on your backup.
My other computer lasts maybe 2 minutes on UPS because its only a 950VA - but enough to shut everything down when a tropical storm is hitting

Reactions: bejomulyono