[SOLVED] How was my building?

Aug 14, 2020
Hello Community

About 3 years ago i made my first own PC. Here are the specs:
  • Mainbord: Asus Prime X470-Pro
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x (with the fan that comes with it)
  • GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32gb 3200mhz CL16
  • C: Drive: At the moment (Sandisk SSD 128gb) I bought a Samsung SSD 870 QVO looking forward to build it in today
  • Case: be quiet! Dark Base 700
Now while time passes I am getting a bit dissapointed in the build. Somehow the performance got worse, maybe because the PC is 3 years old.

Question:
  • Was the build okay, or did I smth wrong wrong with it. Could have been something better in it?
  • Will the SSD boost a bit of the performance?
  • How can I increase my performance?

Solution
Do you have quantitative evidence to prove your performance has gotten worse? Are your game FPS lower? Or does your system just feel sluggish in general?

Yes, a 128GB SSD is small for todays usage (both in size and parallelism for performance). I'd go no smaller than 500GB

The 1080Ti sits somewhere between the 3060 and the 3060Ti for upgrade reference, so you're looking at $500 or more for an "upgrade". The necessity of this this is going to hinge on what resolution monitor you're using.

You board does support AMD Ryzen 5000 CPUs...

It's all about budget. What games you're playing (CPU or GPU bound)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
128GB is a small SSD, if it is full, that will greatly effect performance. Your swap file will be on there, and the system still needs room to perform TRIM functions. Additionally drives emulate faster drive types by writing only a single bit at a time, then moving the data later. With no available room, it can't really do this.

QVO is a QLC drive, which is good for storage, not the fastest drive for writes. So putting games there is fine. I would say do what you can to make some space on your boot drive, or purchase a larger faster drive to boot from.

GTX1080Ti is still a decent GPU, not easy to replace either. You would be looking at an RTX 3070 to match it, or RTX 2080/Super.

CPU is a little slower, but your motherboard supports all the way up to the 5000 series with a BIOS update. So getting yourself a Ryzen 5600X or 5800X would be a decent boost.

Reactions: nikibon
Do you have quantitative evidence to prove your performance has gotten worse? Are your game FPS lower? Or does your system just feel sluggish in general?

Yes, a 128GB SSD is small for todays usage (both in size and parallelism for performance). I'd go no smaller than 500GB

The 1080Ti sits somewhere between the 3060 and the 3060Ti for upgrade reference, so you're looking at $500 or more for an "upgrade". The necessity of this this is going to hinge on what resolution monitor you're using.

You board does support AMD Ryzen 5000 CPUs...

It's all about budget. What games you're playing (CPU or GPU bound)

Last edited:
Solution
Hello Community

• C: Drive: At the moment (Sandisk SSD 128gb) I bought a Samsung SSD 870 QVO looking forward to build it in today
Now while time passes I am getting a bit dissapointed in the build. Somehow the performance got worse, maybe because the PC is 3 years old.

Question:
  • Was the build okay, or did I smth wrong wrong with it. Could have been something better in it?
Whens the last time you gave the innards a good cleaning?
A can of compressed air and a small brush.
Get the heat sinks and fans extra clean.
Don't forget the psu......a few shots of air from both directions.

Run this and post a link to the results page.
PC Benchmark

Hello Community

Question:

Hi there,

1. When was the last time you did a dust/dirt clean up of the inside of the PC?

2. When was the last time you did a clean fresh instal of Windows + Drivers + Games?

3. As tennis2 asked you, what kind of test/benchmark have you done to measure this bad performance?

Thing to keep in mind: Games evolve, Windows evolve, apps like browsers and antivirus evolve, they probably now use more resources than when you build your PC 3 years ago.

Also before I can make any recommendation on CPU/GPU upgrades I should ask: What kind of games do you play?, Whats the resolution and refresh rate of your display?, Do you use the display native resolution? Do you use max graphic settings for eye candy visuals, or performance settings for high FPS?

TRENDING THREADS