[SOLVED] How well does this components perform nowadays?

shoohs

Prominent
Feb 28, 2020
I got myself of a i7 6700 + 16 GB Ram + Asus Maximus Hero VIII + GTX 1070. How well does this components perform nowadays? Especially playing AAA - Games, mainstream games, and etc. I found out some websites comparing the 6th Gen i7 to be less powerful than the i7 4790. What are your thoughts?

Solution
What would be it most used for, video editing and a bit of gaming, Multitasking with a little gaming or Gaming nr.1 and some other stuff?

If it is pure gaming then Intel has a 10% advantage in FPS at the TOP end, but at 33%more price. If I personally get 100fps or 110fps it is nada, but if you game competively then I see the attraction. When multitasking and videoediting the middle Ryzen 3 will smash the top Intel,they are just so far ahead on multicore workloads.

Depends on budget also, not everyone can or will spend 650-800$ for a processor when one for 350$ will do the job perfectly well.

The 3600 is a great CPU and one of the most popular on the market today, with it's 8 cores and 16 threads it will be relivent for years to come...

WildCard999

Titan
It's a solid 1080P or 1440P gaming system, even newer games should be around medium to high settings at 60+ FPS (including 1440P).

The only downside to the system is a awesome unlocked motherboard and locked CPU which ruins potential for overclocking.

WildCard999

Titan
so I should picked an overcloackable cpu?
No as it's not worth investing into older parts. The build as-is should perform well for gaming but if the CPU is lacking then consider upgrading to AMD Ryzen as it's a great price to performance option currently.

If I owned those parts though I wouldn't bother changing anything unless performance is lacking. Perhaps a monitor and/or GPU upgrade is due?

shoohs

Prominent
Feb 28, 2020
I'm not really an AMD-guy as AMD processors doesn't last long enough in the course of time, If intel produces a new line of CPUs, AMD's processors would plundered to the bottom. However, these days I'm noticing that the newest Ryzen line of AMD processors really are up to something especially on the clock speed. Is this a promising line of AMD if I were to switch? I mean does this new line of CPU a promising within a couple of years? It kinda sucked as I was planning to upgrade on to an I7 8700 or a newer Gen i7 CPU. I've seen that Intel's processor are really maintaining on the time of use as well as it's performance. In a base to base comparison, how well does the 9th Gen Intel compare to the latest AMD Ryzen? Hoping for a performance same as the I7 or even better if an AMD procecssor.

WildCard999

Titan
Well the Ryzen 3600 performs as good as the i7-8700 for much cheaper so I'd say AMD really stepped up there game with the newer CPU's and unlike Intel's 10th gen CPU's AMD has another generation (4th) coming out this year on the AM4 socket so there is a better upgrade path.

But if I had a i7-6700, preferred Intel and my games were performing well I'd hold off. If your gaming at 1080P perhaps it's time to upgrade the monitor then GPU then when it's needed upgrade the CPU/MB & maybe RAM if needed (faster speed).

I'm not really an AMD-guy as AMD processors doesn't last long enough in the course of time, If intel produces a new line of CPUs, AMD's processors would plundered to the bottom. However, these days I'm noticing that the newest Ryzen line of AMD processors really are up to something especially on the clock speed. Is this a promising line of AMD if I were to switch? I mean does this new line of CPU a promising within a couple of years? It kinda sucked as I was planning to upgrade on to an I7 8700 or a newer Gen i7 CPU. I've seen that Intel's processor are really maintaining on the time of use as well as it's performance. In a base to base comparison, how well does the 9th Gen Intel compare to the latest AMD Ryzen? Hoping for a performance same as the I7 or even better if an AMD procecssor.
First off: lol. Where do you get your "AMD processors doesn't last long enough in the course of time" opinion from?

Second: So you were planning on upgrading to a 3 year old CPU on a dead-end socket?

"I'm not really an AMD-guy as AMD processors doesn't last long enough in the course of time"

Hmmmm what was the last intel chipset that supported 3 generations of new cpus... Ivybridge from 10 years ago I'll guess but they also had various sockets.....AM4 socket since 2016, that is nearly 4 years for ALL AMD cpus made thereafter.

shoohs

Prominent
Feb 28, 2020
Is the Ryzen 5 3600 good for gaming, video editing and multitasking? What Ryzen processor can you recommend? How about the Intel's i7 7700, i7 8700 and its newest line of CPU?

What would be it most used for, video editing and a bit of gaming, Multitasking with a little gaming or Gaming nr.1 and some other stuff?

If it is pure gaming then Intel has a 10% advantage in FPS at the TOP end, but at 33%more price. If I personally get 100fps or 110fps it is nada, but if you game competively then I see the attraction. When multitasking and videoediting the middle Ryzen 3 will smash the top Intel,they are just so far ahead on multicore workloads.

Depends on budget also, not everyone can or will spend 650-800$ for a processor when one for 350$ will do the job perfectly well.

The 3600 is a great CPU and one of the most popular on the market today, with it's 8 cores and 16 threads it will be relivent for years to come and would be a great choice. On the AM 4 chipset you should even to be able to upgrade to a 4000 seried when they do appear in the future without having to change the MoBo

Solution

shoohs

Prominent
Feb 28, 2020
Thanks for the advice man. I seriously am rooting for an Ryzen 5 3600 and its gaming capabilities yet I'm looking on the side as how many years it would last. I mean I look at the side of Intel's i7 line of which it could even game for a couple of years really really few years. I once owned an amd desktop and it was their newest released at the time yet it was easily smashed by intel's new gen.