[SOLVED] How well has my computer aged?

dantexfox

Honorable
Dec 30, 2014
Hello, I am currently trying to decide if is finally time to upgrade my gaming computer. With me now being in college I find that opening large assemblies in solidworks to be quite slow. With that I'm wondering if my computer will last another two years if I have to run any simulations.

Current Specs:
Motherboard:
Z97 Extreme4
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4GHz
Memory: 32Gbytes DDR3 @ Max Band being 667Mhz per stick.
Graphics: Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 4Gb
Storage: 500Gb ssd, 2TB hdd
Power: Corsair CX 600

Is it possible to reuse any of these parts or to slowly upgrade? From my understanding I'm very limited because of the motherboard I have.

Solution
The 4790k is still a good cpu. The graphics card is holding you back. The gtx 970 is equivalent to a 1650 now a days. Look into entry level RTX series cards.

dantexfox

Honorable
Dec 30, 2014
Hello, I am currently trying to decide if is finally time to upgrade my gaming computer. With me now being in college I find that opening large assemblies in solidworks to be quite slow. With that I'm wondering if my computer will last another two years if I have to run any simulations.

Current Specs:
Motherboard:
Z97 Extreme4
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4GHz
Memory: 32Gbytes DDR3( 4x8 sticks) @ Max Band being 667Mhz per stick.
Graphics: Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 4Gb
Storage: 500Gb ssd, 2TB hdd
Power: Corsair CX 600

Is it possible to reuse any of these parts or to slowly upgrade? From my understanding I'm very limited because of the motherboard I have.