How well will mosfet heatsinks prevent overheating on a ASUS M5A78l-M LX PLUS

Flaaff

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
Hey guys, I recently upgraded my old fx - 4100 to a fx - 8350. The performance is much better, but during intensive games such as GTA V, every 20-40 seconds my frames drop in half for a while. The reason for this is because my old mobo can't handle it, and the mosfets overheat to compensate. To test this I took off my side panel and pointed a room fan directly in the case. After playing for around 15 minutes, my frames didn't drop any lower then 50 :D here are my specs:

ASUS M5A78l-M LX PLUS
AMD FX 8350 @4.0 ghz
Hyper 212 Evo Heatsink
MSI R9 390 8gb
8GB corsair DDR3 (don't know exact model)
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS 80+ GOLD
NZXT S340
Windows 10 running on a 120 HyperX ssd
2 1tb hdd (i has my games on it)

Anyways the fan isnt really a permanent solution, so I was inquiring about these mosfet heatsinks:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708012&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-Skimlinks-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=12087162&PID=3736271&SID=skim83512X1540009Xfe2dd095c78babd5e84350e35490ed61&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-Skimlinks

Does anyone know if these would eliminate the throttling better or equally as my fan did, or will I need a fan?

Solution
I'm sorry for net getting back in touch with you in time, Anway it sounds like your motherboard is not having the right contact with your gpu and cpu and your most likely bottlenecking. So, You might want to get a new motherboard but I would research over this and see if that's the problem, I mean it would not make since for you to bottleneck since I mean you do have a good cpu and gpu. Did you try overclocking your amd 8350? And if not I would look up videos on how to overclock on your Motherboard in the bios, Because the 8350 is still slightly bottlenecking the MSI R9 390 8gb.

spray2000

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
That motherboard should work, Download coretemp and tell me what your cpu temps are at? And are you drivers all up to date, Did you sit the Cpu Cooler on right with good amount of thermal paste (Pea Size) Your power supply seems good enough, And if your CPU is higher then usual like around 60 to 80 Celsius underload then I would think of getting more fans for your rig.. Or maybe you put your fans in the wrong position and there aren't getting the right air flow you know about intake and outtake Two fans up top intake one fan on left side outtake and all other fans intake.

Flaaff

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015

Thanks for the reply spray2000!

i took some screenshots of Core Temp and SpeedFan at idle and while playing GTA V

http://imgur.com/a/MzAd9

The first image is at idle
The seconds image is during gameplay after 10 minutes when not throttling (managing solid 50-60 fps)
The third image is during gameplay when throttling started to occur (fps was at 20-30)

i will reapply thermal paste as i remember applying a little too much during the build, and I'll get back to you with results

Flaaff

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015

spray2000,

i reaplied thermal paste, but unfortunately had no luck:/ the results were identical and my cpu throttled just as much. My drivers are up to date, and as far as airflow goes, im using the standard S340 set up (Exhaust fan at the top and back) Im afraid the motherboard is the issue here

spray2000

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
I'm sorry for net getting back in touch with you in time, Anway it sounds like your motherboard is not having the right contact with your gpu and cpu and your most likely bottlenecking. So, You might want to get a new motherboard but I would research over this and see if that's the problem, I mean it would not make since for you to bottleneck since I mean you do have a good cpu and gpu. Did you try overclocking your amd 8350? And if not I would look up videos on how to overclock on your Motherboard in the bios, Because the 8350 is still slightly bottlenecking the MSI R9 390 8gb.

Solution

Flaaff

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
At this point i can %100 confirm that it is the motherboard acting up, mainly because of it poorly handling the 8350 and making the mosfets overheat. Because id rather not buy a new motherboard (pricey and have to deal with windows 10 :sarcastic:) i've been considering putting the heatsinks that i linked earlier on the mosfets. To your knowledge, would this keep them cooler, or would i need a fan to blow onto them as well.

i know for a fact cooling them would work as i recently aimed a portable fan inside my case and had no throttling issues, but the hyper 212 leaves me no room for another case fan :/

TRENDING THREADS