How Well Will These Componets Run 4K?

Denganim20

Commendable
Jun 29, 2017
Hey guys, so I decided I would like to game at 4K. So to do that I need to upgrade my graphics card.

Here are my current specs:
CPU - Ryzen 5 1600
RAM - 2400MHz 16GB
GPU - GTX 1060 6GB
MOBO - GA-AB350M-Gaming 3

So this build runs well, but I would like to game at 4K so to do that I was going to upgrade my GPU with either a GTX 1080 TI or two GTX 1080s with SLI. I'm wondering which option would work better for 4K, but I'm leaning towards the GTX 1080 TI as I'm certain with SLI I will need a new motherboard. So I'm wondering wether the TI option is better or the SLI option is better. Also I would like to know if my MOBO, RAM, and CPU will hold up well at 4K with a new GPU, I plan to game at max, high settings if I absolutly have to, settings at 4K. Thanks guys.

Solution
Dual cards is probably not a great option anymore. More and more games are dropping support/optimization for them and even Nvidia has already dropped support for more than two cards. With the horsepower of top shelf cards growing tremendously plus the trend towards a lack of support for SLI/Crossfire configurations from both the game devs and hardware partners, I'd advise avoiding that. Even where it is supported I've seen a lot of indications that it's problematic beyond even what used to be commonplace. Further, there are the ever present scaling issues as well.

As TJ Hooker said, a single 1080TI is probably your best option unless you want to wait and see what the future brings, which is neither generally desirable nor absolutely...

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, the rest of the system is up to snuff. It would have been better to get faster RAM but it's not a huge deal, and at 4K you're pretty much always going to be GPU limited anyway even with a 1080 Ti. And yes, a single 1080 Ti would be the best option.

Dual cards is probably not a great option anymore. More and more games are dropping support/optimization for them and even Nvidia has already dropped support for more than two cards. With the horsepower of top shelf cards growing tremendously plus the trend towards a lack of support for SLI/Crossfire configurations from both the game devs and hardware partners, I'd advise avoiding that. Even where it is supported I've seen a lot of indications that it's problematic beyond even what used to be commonplace. Further, there are the ever present scaling issues as well.

As TJ Hooker said, a single 1080TI is probably your best option unless you want to wait and see what the future brings, which is neither generally desirable nor absolutely promising. Use a single card and turn a few sliders down a notch if you find there are issues.

Solution

Denganim20

Commendable
Jun 29, 2017

Thank you both guys for the quick and clear answer, I really appreciate it. I was hoping I would only have to buy a GT 1080 TI so I'm happy.