How well will Vista run on these specs?

Genralkidd

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013
I just ordered a Via EPIA PX10000G Pico-ITX board and I plan to use it for very simple things, particularly bitcoin mining (with USB ASIC devices) and browsing the internet including watching videos like Youtube and Hulu. I have an extra copy of Windows Vista Ultimate lying around as well as well as all the versions of Windows Server, but I figure this motherboard won't be able to handle server versions of Windows (a Core 2 Duo can barely handle Windows Server 2012 R2). Since XP is kind of out of date now, I figure Vista would be the next best choice but I don't know how well it will run. I'm not too concerned about Aero, but it'd be nice if could have something like it (Vista basic just looks plain ugly).

Specs:
Via C7 @ 1.0 GHz
2 GB DDR2 @ 800 MHz
64 GB Wintec SSD
Via UniChrome Pro II Graphics

Thanks!

Solution
It will run on that, just be super slow. I'd turn off literally every non essential including aero. Go right down to basics. regardless of look if you truly want to run vista.

I agree though, I'd rather Linux Mint.

moulderhere

Distinguished
It will run on that, just be super slow. I'd turn off literally every non essential including aero. Go right down to basics. regardless of look if you truly want to run vista.

I agree though, I'd rather Linux Mint.

Solution

Genralkidd

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013

What about Windows 8 or XP in that case? I know Windows 8 runs ok on older hardware, faster than Windows 7 or Vista, I just don't know how well it'll run on a Via C7. I can't use Linux because there are some legacy Windows applications I'll still need to run every now and then. I'm hesitant about XP because Internet Explorer is severely out of date on XP and there are some applications I have that work better on IE than Chrome.

moulderhere

Distinguished
Win 8 doesn't run better on older hardware, hell no.

AMD K6-2 500MHZ PC I have runs Vista so much faster with all bells and whistles turned off than Win 8.

Win XP is fine. Nobody uses IE anymore. Crank all the IE security settings to high and use Firefox.
With Firefox use noscript and ad block add on's. Surf the web better there. No issues.

Genralkidd

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013

Doesn't the SSD solve all the problems of a slower CPU though? All the programs including Internet Explorer in Vista should be able to boot and load very quickly even with a slower CPU right?

plast0000

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013

I have windows vista starter edition installed on an old Pentium 4M dell laptop, it performs OK