How well would FSX operate on a Dell 7100???

wfd1063

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
I hate to ask another FSX performance related question but I am considering upgrading to a different machine and want to make sure I am satisfied with FSX's performance. Unfortunately, I know very little about which video cards matched with which processor equates to outstanding FSX performance (without spending an arm and a leg).

I found a good deal on a new Dell XPS 7100 with these specifics:

CPU / Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 (Quad Core) 630 2.8GHz, 2MB Cache
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Ram / Memory: 3GB DDR3 SDRAM
Hard Drive: 500GB NCQ Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM) w/ 16MB DataBurst Cache
Video: ATI Radeon HD 5450 1024MB

I am currently running an older Dell XPS Gamer 4 with a Pentium 4, 3.2 Ghz with 2 GB of RAM. I have a NVIDIA GF9600 512MB DDR3 video card installed and my FSX performance if poor. I operate in the low to mid teens on frame rates and sometimes dip into single digits. I have some of my scenery and aircraft settings med-high and do have a sizable amount of air traffic.

I don't expect to run FSX with HIGH settings across the board but would really like to be able to move my viewpoint while flying and not have it "skip" around. I want the nice, smooth transitions I see on Youtube FSX vids. I was hoping that this XPS 7100 would be just what the doctor ordered. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!!

wfd1063