how will hard drive help

ramboswar

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2002
im trying to make my comp faster its a pos with a 700 mhz celeron and 30 gb harddrive hp its crap. If i get a 80 gb maxtor at 7200 rpm will it help it out. I used up 13.1 gb of my harddrive already. another question is will i be able to switch all my data i already have to my new harddrive

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
The chipset and type CPU is the key to speeding up your system. Along with a 200 MHz Frontside Bus (FSB) and some PC DDR 2700 (512 MB), a decent AGP 4x Graphic card, and a properly partitioned 7200 rpm Western Digital 8 Mb cache HDD, and maybe a 450 watt PSU. Add a tweak here and a tweak there and burst out of the starting blocks.

I know you don't have this type of system, but the point I'm trying to get arcoss is compatability. The system must have a proper balance of power to get optimal read/write processing speed.

Simply getting a bigger faster rpm HDD will only help a little, unless you have the rest of the system working together in precision. The question is how much are you willing to spend?

Regarding imaging the data on your old HDD to transfer to the new HDD is a snap. You can use Norton Ghost or Partition Magic Drive Copy to do that. Here is some reading that may help: <A HREF="http://www.pcguide.com/opt/index.htm" target="_new">PC Guide</A> Good luck.

<font color=purple><b>An average human brain weights aprox. 3lbs., but a thought weights a load.</font color=purple></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
d00d, when my stepson blew up his K6-2 system, I put the fast hard drive and 64MB of EDO on a Pentium 100 system. Yes it was slower, but it was the fastest Pentium 100 I'd ever seen! At least when it came to file access.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>