[SOLVED] How would a new gpu fair in this old pc

Jul 5, 2019
I have an old computer i used for gaming 6-7 years ago.

CPU: Athlon x2 255
GPU: Geforce GT 430
RAM: 4gb
Motherboard: GA-M68MT-D3
Power: 500w

I have access to a cheap old rx 550. Would this have any impact on performance and is it compatible with my old motherboard. I know old mobo can work with newer cards and it does have pcie x16 slots.

I've read old threads that say you can get an athlon 2 up to 4ghz speed. I don't need 1080p ultra graphics. Just enough power to run modern games at 720p med.

Solution
Rx 550 would be ok, a little underserved but compared to the GT there would be a good improvement. However, the Rx being a uefi card most likely won't display on a legacy motherboard. Amd cards are fussy and many people have had trouble running their modern cards on older boards.
The RX 550 is going to be leaps and bounds ahead of the GT 430. So you'll see a good performance uplift. The CPU is still on the really weak side though. So you will have a CPU bottleneck. The CPU won't be able to keep up with the graphics card in a lot of cases, buuuuuuut if the RX 550 is cheap, there is no real reason not to get it. A performance boost is a performance boost. Compatibility should be fine. If there are any issues they would likely be fixed by a BIOS update, but I don't foresee problems.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Rx 550 would be ok, a little underserved but compared to the GT there would be a good improvement. However, the Rx being a uefi card most likely won't display on a legacy motherboard. Amd cards are fussy and many people have had trouble running their modern cards on older boards.

Solution