Question How would I fix this bottleneck?

SnykyMoo2

Reputable
Feb 23, 2019
So about 6 or 7 months ago I wanted to upgrade my PC. So I bought an RTX 2060 and an i5 8600k. I researched a lot and saw these two were a really good pair for 1080p Ultra gaming. But when I installed both, I noticed that every game I played, my CPU was always either bottlenecking my GPU or heavily struggling to keep up with it, (Both were at 100%.) I have messes around with so many options in the UEFI and even overclocked it 5 Ghz, but even when I overclocked it to 5 Ghz, the temps only went up about 5 degrees and it didn't help my bottleneck at all. I'm thinking of using my warranty on my CPU and just getting a new one because I haven't been able to find a fix.
Is there any possible fix to this besides getting a new one?
Also it's not just that the percentage is higher than it should be, but the FPS is lower too

Specs:
MSI RTX 2060 VENTUS 6G OC
i5 8600k (Currently Turbo Boosted to 4.7 Ghz.)
Asrock Z370 Pro4M
Corsair TX-M 650 watt
Unknown 16gb Dual-Channel Ram @ 1200 MHz (Each)

SnykyMoo2

Reputable
Feb 23, 2019
What do you mean bottlenecking? What fps do you get in the games you play?

According to the website these two are good together:
So one of the games I get alright usage in is GTA V, I get 99% GPU and 80% CPU, I get rougly 50 to 70 fps at a mixture between High and Very High. But from benchmarks I've seen, they play at max settings and never drop below 70 fps. Also idk if this is normal but driving around my GPU will fall below my CPU's percentage in areas

There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.
You will always have a limiting factor.
Some games are cpu centric, some are graphics limited.
some will respond to many threads.

How good do you really need to be?
If you are not now satisfied, you can buy a processor with more threads but not one with better than a 5.0 clock rate.
You can buy a stronger graphics card.
You could possibly have some other limitation like lack of ram or be thermal throttling.
What is your case and cpu cooler?

Folks largely need to stop deciding the infamous 'bottleneck' is occurring and that something must be fixed base on CPU and/or GPU usage...

Determine if performance is typical/acceptable, or, obviously broken. This is not done by hyper-anaylzing CPU/GPU usage ratios, and, wishing needlessly or hopelessly for more of this or less of this.....

Given a decent GPU, one can fully expect any 6c/6t CPU to be largely at/near 100% CPU usage in a large majority of the newest games...and GPU usage will vary according to resolution and levels of detail quite commonly. (the better 1440p/4k -capable GPUs may quite frequently only show 50% usage at 1080P, as half their VRAM is unused_..)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Did you turn off Xbox DVR and game bar helper in windows. What else is running while gaming. Are the motherboard chipset drivers up to date? In nvidia control panel is 3d rendered virtual frames at default 3, turn it to 1. Turn the grass detail slider to medium range.

The usage numbers for gta5 aren't bad for cpu, but gpu should be lower. Are you using GeForce Experience and have a 4k DSR enabled?

The biggest issue I have with YouTube videos is all the crap they do not tell you about or gloss over. They aren't running Antivirus, don't have Office or Adobe or any other native cpu usage stuff running. Those pc's are setup and tailored for whatever game they decide to show.

There's multiple settings in nvcp that can boost gpu fps outputs and many tweaks that increase those too. Setting a broad scope of Very High or Ultra or Extreme many times does nothing but brutalize the cpu/gpu for no gain. A lot of post processing affects are visibly minute, you can't really see the difference, but gpu usage skyrockets.

Get online and Google game tweaks, you'll find many settings can be set at medium instead of ultra and you'll bump up 15-20 fps and not see the difference.

YouTube videos only show what is possible, not what is probable.

USAFRet

Titan
What do you mean bottlenecking? What fps do you get in the games you play?

According to the website these two are good together:
That site is a bad joke. Nothing approaching any sort of reality.

Same system, a few months apart:
Ny777E1.jpg

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Replace a gaming Rx580, with a commercial Quadro P5000 that costs $1700? If that right there didn't tell you what a rediculous joke that site is, nothing would.

The i7-4790k averages @ 10-15 fps lower than a Ryzen 5 3600. Not too shabby for a 5½ year old cpu.

Check Task Manager while game is running, see exactly what other programs/services are pulling heavy cpu usage.

And you are sure your pc is Trojan/malware free?