How would I go about overclocking the RAM in this upcoming build of mine?

Davcoll

Honorable
Jun 28, 2014
Dear people of Tom's Hardware,

I plan on overclocking the RAM in an upcoming computer build. The specs can be found here - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mgn3HN

Now, here a few general questions that I want to get out of the way:

1. Is it dangerous to increase the RAM frequency/timings? Does it affect temperature or anything else that I should be aware of (other than stability)?

2. Does overclocking the RAM "decrease" the overall lifespan of the RAM or does it not matter?

3. What are the voltages I should stay under/what are safe voltages?

4. (related to question 3) Do I need to monitor RAM temperatures when overclocking? How do I know if the RAM is overheating?

Now, what should be the steps (simplified) to overclocking the RAM?

Sorry if this is asking for a lot of information. I have only ever overclocked my CPU and GPU, never bothered with the RAM. Helpful responses are always appreciated, big or small.

Solution
You should be fine at 2133, look in the BIOS for XMP or DOCP, enable it and select 2133, if no go, then may need to OC the APU a bit to help and raise the CPU/NB voltage a tad

I don't believe your build is capable of OCing the ram. The CPU isn't capable, the motherboard is only capable of 2400, and the ram itself makes no claim to be overclock able.

As to your other answers, no, other than stability, there is very little danger to overclocking ram.

Voltages should not need to be messed with in the vast majority of situations when it comes to OCing RAM.

In a more modern PC, you would simply enable an XMP 2.0 profile and adjust the frequency up until system becomes unstable, but the rig you're building isn't capable of it.

Davcoll

Honorable
Jun 28, 2014

So the only danger possible comes from changing voltage? It sucks that I can't OC it but whatever. Can I overclock the RAM on my PC? (here are the specs - http://textuploader.com/axlfq) Thanks for the helpful information btw.

Your rig could get up to 3200MHz if the RAM is up for it, your motherboard and CPU are.

Davcoll

Honorable
Jun 28, 2014

Ok. Thanks for all of the help. I just have 2 more questions:

1. What do you think of changing RAM timings? I think you have to raise them to get higher frequencies but IDK.

2. How did you know that the CPU for my upcoming build was incapable of having my RAM overclocked? Is it just experience or did you look at something under the specifications?

RAM timings actually are the opposite, lower is better.
Messing with the timings isn't something that should be required unless the timing is incorrect. Check the specs of the RAM you purchased and make sure your BIOS loaded those timings. Forcing lower timings is not common.

Forcing a higher frequency is common.

I just checked the specs on that A8 real fast, it supports 1600. CPU's don't list their OC limit, but their stock ram frequency, so that isn't the real determiner if you can OC or not. The real factor is the motherboard, and yours doesn't offer up any high numbers. If the motherboard can't OC it, and the RAM doesn't mention supporting OC, you're out of luck.