[SOLVED] How would i go about testing a vintage gpu in a modern system?

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
Mostly I want to know if some 20+ year old gpus I have still work. And if they do if I should benchmark them to see if they work like they're supposed to.
I figure most of this would be basically plug and play in an XP machine, but I'm unsure with windows 10 or even if i unplug my ssd if bios would post through one on screen. Drivers seem like the biggest issue as far as win 10, but is this even reasonably possible?

Solution
Any graphics card from earlier than 2003 was likely AGP for quite a while back. So a 20 year old graphics card is probably one that needs an AGP slot and you won't find that on any modern system. You'd probably need a motherboard older than about 2008 in order to use any 20 year old graphics card.

You MIGHT be able to find some kind of AGP to PCIe adapter out there, but to be honest, any graphics card that old isn't worth anything to anybody anyhow. The integrated graphics on most CPUs these days is magnitudes more powerful than what any AGP graphics card is capable of.
Any graphics card from earlier than 2003 was likely AGP for quite a while back. So a 20 year old graphics card is probably one that needs an AGP slot and you won't find that on any modern system. You'd probably need a motherboard older than about 2008 in order to use any 20 year old graphics card.

You MIGHT be able to find some kind of AGP to PCIe adapter out there, but to be honest, any graphics card that old isn't worth anything to anybody anyhow. The integrated graphics on most CPUs these days is magnitudes more powerful than what any AGP graphics card is capable of.

Solution