How would I use an old hard drive in a new PC?

GigginsMcSwag

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014
Would I have to completely wipe the hard drive and re-install windows? (If so could I use key-finder to find the activation key to re-install) Or can I just plug it in? Please Help

Solution

Yes.
Download the correct version, install, and activate with your license key.

MundoDragon

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
It really depends on how old it is. Older drives used an interface call IDE, whereas nowadays the standard is SATA. Very few motherboards these days include IDE on the board. If the drive is an IDE (sometimes referred to as EIDE, as well) and you are dead set on using it, you may be able to find and purchase a PCI IDE controller that you could use to interface with the drive, but I doubt any drive that used IDE would even be worth it as it is sure to be very low capacity by today's standards. With the price per GB so low on modern drives, it's just more practical and efficient to buy a new drive. As for the Authenticity Key for Windows, if it is a legitimate version of Windows (i.e. not pirated), you may be able to get the key by calling Microsoft if you have the original CD/DVD. Good luck and Merry Christmas. :)

The3monitors

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000RK89M4/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/189-5631636-1649267
First more than likely you will need that. Than you will need to reinstall the os. I agree with both them above. You will need to reinstall windows altogether. I recommend just getting a new hd and still get that so you can pull the necessary data off your old drive to the new drive. Old hard disks use really bad sector read and write in comparison. Depends on how old the thing is early 2000's ya get rid of it late 2000's your probably on your last limbs and the thing is choking for air.

GigginsMcSwag

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014

The hard drive I plan on using is a SATA hard drive. So could I use KeyFinder to write down the activation key then use that?

USAFRet

Titan

If you reinstall the OS, should be no problem.
Magical Jelly Bean can find that license key.
Assuming Windows 7, go here and download the relevant ISO for the install:
http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

But trying to move a drive with an exiting OS between PC usually will not work. You must reinstall.

GigginsMcSwag

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014

Okay, (please excuse me asking so many questions, I don't want to mess anything up). So I download one of these ISO's and use my existing activation key that I got from KeyFinder on it?

USAFRet

Titan

Yes.
Download the correct version, install, and activate with your license key.

Solution