[SOLVED] How would it be: 3060 Ti & i5 7600K on 1080p?

D

Deleted member 2841972

Actually I know the answer but wanted to ask some other things too under this question.

As I know, it is going to bottleneck. I don't mind to change my monitor in the next few years so 1080p would go on. In this case, buying a 3060 Ti would be an overkill, also means waste of money. On the other site, I don't actually think like that, I am going to get more performans anyway.

Maybe in the next one or two years, I may upgrade my CPU to an AMD one with a new motherboard. If it would happen, the new graphic card that I bought wouldn't be that good with the new CPU. Thats why I still think that it is not going to be an overkill. Maybe for the next months and months but not a big issue. Am I wrong?

What about overclocking the 7600K? Using it on 4.2GHz and automaticly set the limit up to 4.5Ghz but I know it would not help that much, the CPU is still 4/4. Would overclocking it make a well-seen difference?

The cost of 3060 Ti is the best deal as I see so I don't want to go with another GPU. Think like the 3060 Ti is 5.300 EUR (when I exchange the currency to EUR) while a 3070 is 6.900 EUR. I would not prefer a 3070 when 3060 Ti is already offering the same and sometimes more performance in games than a 2080 S.

Can you guide me please? Am I thinking wrong?

Solution
As you said, your CPU is 4 cores and 4 threads so overclocking it would make little difference because 4 cores and 4 threads isn't going to cut it for most modern games.

Let me break it down for you: When you play a game, your CPU requests data from your hard drive/RAM and renders certain parts of a frame. It then sends the pre-rendered frame to the GPU so that the GPU can do the portion of the frame rendering that it is responsible for which is then displayed on your screen. Thus, if your CPU isn't fast enough and can't feed your GPU the frames that it is capable of rendering, you'll have an underutilized 3060 Ti and more than likely an annoying stuttering problem; CPU limited scenarios can cause stutter.

While I understand your...
D

Deleted member 2841972

My full specs:

CPU: i5 7600K - 4.2Ghz
GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6G
Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming M3
RAMs: GSkill Ripjaws V Black 16GB(2X8) 3200MHz CL16
PSU: Thermaltake Smart 650W
Cooling: Thermaltake Water 3.0 Water Performer

As you said, your CPU is 4 cores and 4 threads so overclocking it would make little difference because 4 cores and 4 threads isn't going to cut it for most modern games.

Let me break it down for you: When you play a game, your CPU requests data from your hard drive/RAM and renders certain parts of a frame. It then sends the pre-rendered frame to the GPU so that the GPU can do the portion of the frame rendering that it is responsible for which is then displayed on your screen. Thus, if your CPU isn't fast enough and can't feed your GPU the frames that it is capable of rendering, you'll have an underutilized 3060 Ti and more than likely an annoying stuttering problem; CPU limited scenarios can cause stutter.

While I understand your thinking (upgrade to a capable GPU, upgrade my monitor and CPU later) I don't think it is the best idea. Even with your GTX 1060 your 7600k is probably holding you back somewhat; if you upgrade to a 3060 Ti, that same restriction will be in place and more often than not you'll see no improvement in frame rates. Combine this with the fact that 3060 Tis are overpriced right now if you can find them in stock and you're much better off upgrading your CPU/motherboard first and then upgrading your GPU later when:

1. Prices and inventory are stable
  2. You have a CPU capable of driving it properly

Solution
D

Deleted member 2841972

While I understand your thinking (upgrade to a capable GPU, upgrade my monitor and CPU later) I don't think it is the best idea. Even with your GTX 1060 your 7600k is probably holding you back somewhat; if you upgrade to a 3060 Ti, that same restriction will be in place and more often than not you'll see no improvement in frame rates. Combine this with the fact that 3060 Tis are overpriced right now if you can find them in stock and you're much better off upgrading your CPU/motherboard first and then upgrading your GPU later when:

1. Prices and inventory are stable
  2. You have a CPU capable of driving it properly
Load and clear, thanks for it. I think it is better not to make any upgrade, at least until the 5000 AMDs are accessable. Then I would buy a 3060 Ti and I think it would be a good combo. So how long would I be able to play future and modern games on Ultra settings without RT with 3060 Ti and AMD 5600X on 1080p?

Load and clear, thanks for it. I think it is better not to make any upgrade, at least until the 5000 AMDs are accessable. Then I would buy a 3060 Ti and I think it would be a good combo. So how long would I be able to play future and modern games on Ultra settings without RT with 3060 Ti and AMD 5600X on 1080p?

Checks crystal ball

I'm just guessing, but seeing as how capable the 3060 Ti is, I'd assume maybe 4-6 years, hard to say. If you go with a Ryzen 5600X (which is a great choice for a CPU) it'll depend on how quickly newer games are designed around CPUs with even more cores and threads. Just as right now people with 4c/4t and 4c/8t CPUs are finding they need to upgrade to 6c/12t CPUs, eventually those with 6c/12t CPUs will need to upgrade to 8c/16t CPUs. Thus for me personally, I like to stay a few cores and threads above what is currently 'required' because its hard to say when the shift will happen, and I'd rather buy a CPU with more power than I need rather than just enough.