[SOLVED] How would one use a laptop as a monitor for another laptop?

Jul 19, 2020
Recently I cycled out my old gaming laptop from 2016 and got a new one, there were problems with the hardware, but the screen works perfectly fine. Seems a shame to just do away with it. When I got my new one, I decided I wanted to see if I could hook up this new laptop to the older one, and use the processing power on the new one to play directly onto my old laptop's screen. I'm fairly certain people do this kinda stuff all the time on dedicated monitors. Any suggestions? Is it possible?

Solution
How would one use a laptop as a monitor for another laptop?

One wouldn't. Short of some kind of special adapter, that doesn't exist to the best of my knowledge, you can't use the panel from one laptop with another laptop. Using external ACTUAL monitors is a different story altogether as those have standardized video connections that will plug into the secondary video outputs on the side of the laptop. No way to do that really with a panel from another laptop. Sell it for parts, fix it, or throw it away.
How would one use a laptop as a monitor for another laptop?

One wouldn't. Short of some kind of special adapter, that doesn't exist to the best of my knowledge, you can't use the panel from one laptop with another laptop. Using external ACTUAL monitors is a different story altogether as those have standardized video connections that will plug into the secondary video outputs on the side of the laptop. No way to do that really with a panel from another laptop. Sell it for parts, fix it, or throw it away.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan
If your old laptop is still in a workable state, then you can use something like spacedesk to turn it into an extra keyboard-mouse-monitor for your new laptop. Works with other devices too, I sometimes use one of my tablets as a temporary extra monitor when I need some extra desktop space and don't want to turn on my 4k TV.

Jul 19, 2020
If your old laptop is still in a workable state, then you can use something like spacedesk to turn it into an extra keyboard-mouse-monitor for your new laptop. Works with other devices too, I sometimes use one of my tablets as a temporary extra monitor when I need some extra desktop space and don't want to turn on my 4k TV.
They're different framerates and resolutions, would that make a difference? What kind of output/input cable would that require?