How would this run crysis?

bcooper56

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
In 1680 x 1050 resolution
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9650 (4x 3.0GHz/12MB L2 Cache/1333FSB)
GPU: GTX 275
RAM: 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module

bcooper56

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Ok thanks i don't own the pc i plan on getting new on lol right now my pc is so out of date im still on intel premium

bcooper56

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009

Would it make a difference if i went up to intel i7 920 it only little more and nvida gtx 285

bcooper56

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Why not if a pc can run crysis it can run anything out

Crysis is still the gold-standard benchmark for PCs..

As for the OP, a single 9800GTX/GTX+ or 4850 can run Crysis @ VH
(High post-processing) @ 1280x1024

A GTX260 can do the same at 1680x1050.
With a GTX275, you can run it all at VH (including post processing) and perhaps even ultra high gfx mod as well.

g3force

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009

Not really. Crysis is graphically demanding, but requires less CPU horsepower than a RTS. You shouldn't build your system around one game.

DDR3 isn't worth it unless you go i7. But your already paying so much, you mind as well go the i7 route. That would leave you with a lot more upgradeability.

Otherwise, Buy a decent P45 motherboard, 4 Gb of DDR2 and a reasonably priced dual/quadcore. Shaving off the useless stuff would save at least $200.

radiowars

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
It's OK. Step up to the i7, but keep the GTX 275. The GTX 275 can run Crysis @ 1680x1050 w/ 2xAA, however, you need a faster processor in general, and for future proofing.

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009

High at 1920x1080 no AA.

Cheers

Edit: Just read the comment above mine.... future proofing... lol, do I hate that word.... :D NO such thing as "future proofing"

I see this all the time and it's bullshit. If you get an i7 then in 2 years an upgrade will consist of a new processor and a new video card. If you don't it will consist of basically a whole new system. This is common sense, don't ignore it.

jennyh

Splendid

Eh? You understand that you can plug an AM3 cpu into an AM2+ motherboard right?

I could go out tomorrow and buy the very best Phenom II and plug it into a 2 year motherboard which cost $60. What the hell are you on about with this upgrading processor and gpu nonsense? Your pc *is* your gpu and cpu.

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009

It's all relative.

"Future prove" can mean many things. How long will this PC last. probably as long as you want to keep it or as long as you want to stay on the top and have the best performance. Purchase the most exepnsive card today and in six months a newer DX11 card is out, with new features that your card does not support. So how much of future proving you'll be doing here. You might as well buy a mainstream PC now witha mainstream Video Card and then in a year buy one of the more afordable main stream Video Cards and Six Core CPUs.

That is why I say it's all realtive. Some people take the word "Futureprove" out of context and use it as a reason to shell out $10000 just to have the current top of the top, which is six months will be overpassed by a newer CPU and newer GPU.

But if you feel so passionate about your future proved PC than I salute you!

Enjoy your Future Proved PC :)

Cheers

What does plugging an AM3 chip into an AM2 board(and not being able to use DDR3) have to do with anything? For ONCE a change in socket type didn't make the previous socket MBs totally obsolete? Fantastic. You think AM3 will still be the AMD standard in 2-3 years? I doubt it. I'll bet sometime next year AMD will finally come out with a response to the i7 with a new architecture and an incompatible socket.
And you are running your system without a motherboard or ram? Is it a magic computer?

BTW in no way was I saying that people should shell out huge money for top of the line components, that's a huge mistake for anyone without a trust fund. I'm saying the general concept of totally ignoring upgradability which I see bandied about on here is just moronic. "Future proof" is a lame phrase but the concept behind it is common sense. Technology doesn't move quite so fast that you can't make an educated decision based on what components are likely to be viable for extended periods.
In this case it's obvious imo. The Q9650 is actually $45 more than an i7 on newegg. The motherboard will cost a good bit more, around $80-100 most likely. $50 more for an i7 instead of a C2Q is a smart choice.

jennyh

Splendid
Buying any Core2 now is just plain stupid, because it's a dead platform costing far too much.

The same is not true for the Phenom II. The 965 might not be as fast as an i7 when released, but the 975 probably will be. We're talking 4 months and I can *still* plug that cpu into a 2 year old mobo.

As for your RAM point, well there isn't really one to be made. The benefits of DDR3 over DDR2 are so minimal that it's pointless right now. However, if I did decide I wanted DDR3 in the future guess what? Yep that's right, I could just go and buy a DDR3 mobo and plug the SAME chip into it.

Finally, if you think you will be able to plug the top end intel into your current x48 mobo in 3 years, I'd really love to see why you came to that conclusion. The i7 is no more future proof than any cpu before it, if you believe otherwise then you are a total fool who has fallen for all the (multi)threading garbage.

Did MMX make pentium 1's last 5 years? No. Did 64 bit make Athlons last 5 years? No. How long have dual core's lasted in reality? 3 years max? Nobody with a brain would buy a dual core now.

Yet you think the i7 platform will last 5 years? Wakey wakey, we're in the real world now. The i7 has 2 years from now at an absolute maximum and that's only if intel don't decide to change their minds with their westmere's and opt for yet another new socket. It's not like they haven't done that before, is it?

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

does that include a c2q? just because intel is ahead with their next-gen chip dont make the core2 obsolete or dead.

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

Its not the best future proofing choice though :??:

jennyh

Splendid

It is dead. There will be no more Core2's except 'energy efficient' models of current chips. At the prices they are asking they are almost totally worthless. I mean who would buy a Core2 costing more than an i7 920 and for what reason?

The Phenom II's are only worth buying because they are cheaper than the i7 920.

randomizer

Champion
You would only buy Core 2 if you have a drop-in compatible LGA775 board now. There is no good reason to build a new LGA775 rig unless you don't intend to upgrade for a long time and don't need a huge amount of CPU power.

Now, back on topic, yes that will run Crysis quite well. Forget maximum settings though with AA, you need more GPU power for that.

@g3force: We don't know if he's gonna play RTS anyway.

g3force

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009

True, but I brought that up just in case an RTS is one of the games he intends to run. I should've clarified earlier, sorry.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts