Question How would you build an alert to outside for home wifi/internet connection problem?

Newtonian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2013
I'd like to build an alert mechanism that will alert you when you're outside and your home wifi/internet connection is down.
Since anything from within your home cannot reach you, it must be something like a beacon from your home that is periodically checked by another device outside your home.
Any ideas?

kanewolf

Titan
I'd like to build an alert mechanism that will alert you when you're outside and your home wifi/internet connection is down.
Since anything from within your home cannot reach you, it must be something like a beacon from your home that is periodically checked by another device outside your home.
Any ideas?
What response time do you require? I have a weather station that posts data every 5 min.

Reactions: Lutfij

Newtonian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2013
Along the same lines already being explored would be something like an Arlo or Nest camera. It wouldn't alert you, per se, but you would know since you wouldn't be able to view.

Do you mind my asking, why?

My internet has occasional interruption, and I'd like to be notified when it happens even when I'm not at home. I think it will help me troubleshoot.

TRENDING THREADS