How would you config these drives for performance?

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey people. I have 3 SCSI drives I plan on putting onto an Adaptec 29160 single channel ultra160 controller. All 3 drives are Quantum drives of varying vintage. Here's how I thought of doing it. If you see a better way (as in better in performance) please correct me. The 3 drives would be configured in this manner:

#1 > 1.0 GB 7200 rpm Atlas 1 (circa 1995) SE Wide HDD on SE connector >> WINNT 4.0 Workstation

#2 > 4.2 GB 7200 rpm Atlas II SE Wide HDD on SE connector >> very small apps + storage for drivers, service pack, not much else

#3 > 9.1 GB 10000 rpm ultra 160 Atlas 10KII HDD on LVD connector >> multi partitions for; halflife, office2k, 2 GB swap file (twice my ram), other stuff

Do you think I should install WINNT on drive 2 instead since its a considerably newer drive, and use the older 1 GB drive for device driver storage instead? Also, I will eventually be adding an identical Atlas 10KII and use NT's disk administrator to run the 2 in RAID 0 for extra performance.
Whadda ya all think?

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

If you loan a friend $20 & never see them again, it was worth it.

hollett

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001
Personally I would put my O/S on the fastest drive you have as it is under contstant use. Also you might want to put you swap file on the fastest drive (not that it will be used much with 1GB RAM).

Only the insane prosper.
Only those who prosper can judge what is sane.

Hades

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
If youre going to use the two 9.1's in a RAID 0 array using winnt 4.0, you cant have them as the boot partition, so keep that in mind.
I would also get rid of the one gig as it wll slow down the scsi chain, or at least the SE devices.

So, i guess what im saying is i would install winnt on the 4.2, and toss the one gigger. And wait till you get that second LVD drive before putting anything important on the one you have now, to save some possible hassles and data loss when you do get it. Hope that helps.

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hades, is there any particular reason (other than its old) to toss the 1 Gb drive? I may use it for driver storage. Tossing it would be kind of a waste don't you think? Lemme know please. Thx!

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

If you loan a friend $20 & never see them again, it was worth it.

Hades

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I believe it will slow the other hard drive down. Instead of tossing it, i would test it to see if there are any performance differences. My apologies for jumping to conclusions.

TRENDING THREADS