[SOLVED] How would you hook up these fans?

Jul 7, 2021
Just bought (7x) 12V PWM Noctua 3000RPM 120mm fans.

Mobo: Asus x99 Deluxe

Since they're 12V, should I not put any splitters on fan headers? I heard that doing so can cause serious issues.

Do I need to bank more on a fan controller in this case? Hook it up directly to the PSU?

What so you all recommend?

Solution
Since they're 12V, should I not put any splitters on fan headers? I heard that doing so can cause serious issues.

MoBo fan headers are usually rated 1A @ 12V (further info in MoBo manual, page 1-32) and since each fan consumes 0.3A @ 12V, you're safe to use Y-splitter and connect 2 fans per one fan header. Though, connecting 3 fans per fan header is pushing it way too close and you can fry your MoBo fan header, or MoBo itself.

Though, your MoBo does have dedicated fan extension card slot (MoBo manual page 2-12) and you can buy that to expand the fan header amount on your MoBo.

Hook it up directly to the PSU?

If you do that, fan will run 100% all the time, without you (from BIOS) being able to control it's speed...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

MoBo fan headers are usually rated 1A @ 12V (further info in MoBo manual, page 1-32) and since each fan consumes 0.3A @ 12V, you're safe to use Y-splitter and connect 2 fans per one fan header. Though, connecting 3 fans per fan header is pushing it way too close and you can fry your MoBo fan header, or MoBo itself.

Though, your MoBo does have dedicated fan extension card slot (MoBo manual page 2-12) and you can buy that to expand the fan header amount on your MoBo.

Hook it up directly to the PSU?

If you do that, fan will run 100% all the time, without you (from BIOS) being able to control it's speed.

All-in-all, you have several choices:
  1. Buy 3x Y-splitters and connect 2 fans to CHA_FAN 1 to 3 while the last fan goes to CHA_FAN 4.
  2. Buy Fan Extension Card and connect each fan to it's dedicated fan header, e.g 4x fans to CHA_FAN 1 to 4 and remaining 3 to Fan Extension Card.
  3. Buy fan hub.
  4. Buy fan controller.
  5. Plug all fans to PSU.

Last edited:
Reactions: SirSfinn
Solution
Just bought (7x) 12V PWM Noctua 3000RPM 120mm fans.
how many 4pin fan headers does the board have?

how many 120mm mounting points does your case have and what are their locations?
does the case have a fan hub with front panel controller?

what CPU cooler are you using?
will that CPU cooler be using some of these 7 Noctuas or does it already have it's own nice fans in place?

you should also include all other system specs for any real recommendations regarding your cooling arrangement.

Last edited:
ASUS has always been weird about their fan extension slot and the available card(s).

they included the slot on boards for many years but never offered the extension card anywhere.

i contacted ASUS support a few times over 5-6 years about acquiring one and the only response i ever got was finally in 2019 that they had officially stopped offering them.