How would you rate the importance of a PC in your life? Why?

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
I would say a PC would get about 8.5 out of 10 in my life right now. There isn't much else going on and besides you can do almost anything on a PC.
I love PC games, I love surfing the net and going through forums like this, some light editing, watching Netflix and Youtube, I can buy almost anything using my PC, etc...

How would you rate the importance of a PC in your life? Why?

Solution
It would be a 10/10 since essentially my entire job is using a computer as a dumb terminal to a Citrix gateway. If the network goes down, we simply stop working as there is absolutely no way to do our work. I work from about 7:30 am to 5:30 pm 5 days a week at work and then log in remotely for about 1-2 hours each night and then about 3-5 hours over the weekend from home to finish up. Sadly, 6-7 years ago, before the government dictated that we had to do everything on the computer using very specific (and very expensive, buggy, slow, and clunky) software, the job used to be pretty much just the 7:30-5:30 without the evening and weekend work, and we got paid better too.

I don't use my computers at home for "personal use" very much any...

CDdude55

Distinguished
It's less important to me than it was 10 or even 5 years ago. I don't play much games as i did then, so i don't spend much money on hardware anymore and it's not on my mind constantly like it was a decade ago.

But i'm online everyday, and it's a large hobby of mine so it's very important to the core of my enjoyment in the world.

Ralston18

Titan
I will go 8 out of 10.

Not needed for work and not a gamer per se.

However, being able to go online for personal reasons (e.g., banking) or to look up something, find a resource, or to stay in touch with family has made having a computer (plus backup) more than necessary. Especially to see photographs or coordinate family events ala communications.

And it helps keep me more up to date with IT and technology in general. Brain exercise: more beneficial (to me anyway) than the proverbial jig-saw puzzles. Especially when being outside is not viable.

It would be a 10/10 since essentially my entire job is using a computer as a dumb terminal to a Citrix gateway. If the network goes down, we simply stop working as there is absolutely no way to do our work. I work from about 7:30 am to 5:30 pm 5 days a week at work and then log in remotely for about 1-2 hours each night and then about 3-5 hours over the weekend from home to finish up. Sadly, 6-7 years ago, before the government dictated that we had to do everything on the computer using very specific (and very expensive, buggy, slow, and clunky) software, the job used to be pretty much just the 7:30-5:30 without the evening and weekend work, and we got paid better too.

I don't use my computers at home for "personal use" very much any more, except my DVR which I use to record the 5 am and 5 pm news so I can skip through the commercials during breakfast and supper. Nearly all of their use any more is as glorified dumb terminals to log into the work gateway to finish my work.

Solution