How would you rate this i7-4790K chip?

avsquare

Reputable
May 8, 2015
Hi all,

Trying to test my luck with the "silicon lottery" to see if my chip is a good one, clocked my CPU at 4.8GHz with 1.236V, stable with Prime95 26.6 small FFT, reported temperatures hovers around 84c mostly with peak 86c

Do note that it is rather warm and humid in my country right now, it is 30c even at night. Using the Intel Temperature Guide here it would be corrected down to 78c (Standard Ambient). So I guess if we calculate this way it is still under the 80c safe temperature?

What do you guys think of this chip?

Cheers.

4.8Ghz stable at 1.236v is pretty good. A lot of people have to run 1.3v to hit that.

I personally think the temps are too high with the stress tests, should be lower while gaming though. Curious, what cooler are you using?

avsquare

Reputable
May 8, 2015

Using the Corsair H100i GTX cooler.

Yeah it is REALLY REALLY warm right now even at 12:35am here with a big fan blasting at me and I'm still sweating mad. Air is humid and stagnant urgh.

I did a 4.6GHz earlier at 1.200V (I didn't bother to really check for the lowest voltage possible as I wanted to test 4.8GHz) it ran at 76c peak, corrected to Standard Ambient would be 68c I guess?

During gaming the overclock'd speed doesn't seem to matter since it isn't pushing 100% load like P95, it is about 55-58c non corrected.

I'm not sure why you would correct your CPU temperatures based upon the ambient. Unless just for delta-T reference. If the core is too hot, it's too hot, it doesn't care if that heat is coming from the room or the volts. Now, in the winter you'll have better temps, sure. But no matter what I wouldn't push 86c on a 4790k. So I would either drop that voltage/overclock or stop stress-testing.

But it definitely sounds like your chip is a winner. Depending on if you can get the voltage lower (and your ambient temps down), you may have a 5.0 chip on your hands.

avsquare

Reputable
May 8, 2015

Yeah this is just a synthetic test to see how far this chip can be pushed; no worries on a day-to-day basis I won't even want to see it exceed 70c too much :p

Unfortunately my home being at the Equator itself meant that this is my ambient temp all year long. Unless there's a heavy downpour with strong winds then maybe I can get 25c ambient. And since I don't have A/C so I won't be able to test 5GHz :(