[SOLVED] How's a mini PC for remote desktop?

Ottomic

Reputable
Mar 20, 2017
(I am aware this thread is kind of in the middle between prebuilt system and mobile device, but I'm basically considering a mini PC, sorry in advance if this has been posted in the wrong category).

It's been 7 months since the confinement and it looks like it's going to be 6 more, and I've been pondering about my dependance on my main rig for work. So far it's working well, but ever since my mobo gave up the ghost mid Christmas a couple of years ago, the idea of depending on one device for work has me a little nervous.

I don't want to spend ~400 bucks on a laptop that I will keep on its case except for maybe 5 times in the next 10 years, but I have been thinking about getting a mini PC for the very sporadic occasions where for one reason or another I'll need to be outside the house. Something like a Beelink BT3 pro, for example. Now, the question is, will a mini PC like this be up to the task if I need to be 8 hours straight on Anydesk? Something like the BT3 Pro has a quad core i5 Atom, 64 GB HDD and 4GB RAM which should be more than enough for the intended use, but I am wary of fanless computers, and while I know remote working is far from the most intensive task, I don't want to spend 150 bucks in something that fails to do its intended task. I would like to avoid burning money on either side of the question.

Do you guys have any experience in this field? Would you recommend going with this, or would you rather go the extra mile and spend double in a laptop, considering it will be not be even my secondary workstation, but something I just want to keep on the side?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
I just got a Beelink GTR Pro. It is taking over my HTPC duties, among other things.
More powerful than the BT3, but same size box. Also, more expensive...:(

But it would easily do what you seek.

The BT3 Pro is pretty limited
https://www.amazon.com/BoLv-Beelink-BT3-Pro-Output-VGA/dp/B075CPZV17

One of the advantages of a laptop is screen and PC in one box.
With a Beelink or other tiny system, you also need to haul around a monitor/mouse/kbd.

Solution
It really depends on how you are working in Autodesk. If you're running it locally, then you'll feel some slowdown for sure. But if you're running using some sort of remote desktop setup, it may be fine. I'd actually talk to your work about this concern as they don't want you to be down either and may just send you a system ;)

USAFRet

Titan
It really depends on how you are working in Autodesk. If you're running it locally, then you'll feel some slowdown for sure. But if you're running using some sort of remote desktop setup, it may be fine. I'd actually talk to your work about this concern as they don't want you to be down either and may just send you a system ;)
Anydesk
https://anydesk.com/en

Not AutoDesk
https://www.autodesk.com/

LMAO! Thank you for this!

Now that I know you're not running some crazy cad thing, I think this mini PC should be great at the job. In fact, you may find that it's easier to just use it versus your PC. Another thing you could do is simply connect both to your network and rdp into the mini pic that's doing the anydesk from your main system and you'll basically be able to have virtually two different computers at your fingertips without a kvm and without 2x monitors and keyboards.

TRENDING THREADS