Dec 3, 2014
Here's my build:
CPU: i7 4790K
GPU: Zotac GTX 970
Mobo: ASUS Z97 K
RAM: Corsair 8GB Vengeance
PSU: Corsair VS650 650 Watt

Will the PSU be enough?
I won't be overclocking (maybe in the future, but not now), so will the stock fan that comes with the i7 be enough?

Solution
The recommended system Wattage for a video card is totally overrated, because they anticipate that the users buy a cheap and crappy PSU with low efficiency. So the card will work even with these PSUs.

So a good PSU won´t need that much power, to get it working properly.

demparker

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

A 750 watt is double the price. Will the 650 watt not be able to do it?

niroshido

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I have tried that site I provided you with. But because I don't know how many fans, SSD's, HDD's. DVD drives you intend on including I had to take a stab in the dark. I have come with results ranging from 590W up to 630W, thats a close call. If i were to provide the best response I would need to know how many fans and their size, I would also need to know what other PCI cards are going to be put in there. But I would say a 650W should be achievable, but I wouldn't expect to add a second graphics card to the mix, as that would bring the wattage requirements to over 800W. Saying that though, I would always recommend to people that they are better overshooting and getting that bit more than they need rather than undershooting and finding that you don't have enough.

Your last question was also about stock coolers, The stock coolers are rubbish, I would strongly recommend spending a bit of money on a decent cooler. You may ask yourself why spend so much more money on these items, but consider how much you are spending on other items, those items (the zotac g-card) is top end, if you're willing to go that far, then maybe it is worth spending that bit more on the PSU and the cooler. Also remember that the more work your equipment has to do, the more wear it would undergo and as a result the sooner they will have to be replaced.

niroshido

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

Using the site I had mentioned above, i calculated the following, the CPU, GPU, high end mobo, a bunch of fans, a DVD drive to HDD's, sound card (using a PCI-e slot) and a fan controller. This was me guessing that certain stuff was not included.

From another site the recommended wattage for the g-card was 500W, i wasn't taking it from personal experience.

The recommended system Wattage for a video card is totally overrated, because they anticipate that the users buy a cheap and crappy PSU with low efficiency. So the card will work even with these PSUs.

So a good PSU won´t need that much power, to get it working properly.

Solution