How's my PC ?

TheCrisis

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2013
Hello guys :)

My Computer-System includes the following components:

- Mainboard: ASROCK n68-s
- Memory : 4gb of ddr2 ram
- Processor : AMD Phenom II x4 925 (around 4x 2.8ghz)
- GPU : Gainward GTX550TI with 1024mb video-ram
- Harddrive : 260gb-IDE with UserFiles and Windows7 (64bit) / 1TB S-ATA which stores my games

So, my question is: How future-proof is my PC - or rather: is it ?
- what could I upgrade in the first place?
- has changing from 4gb ddr2 ram to 8gb ddr 3 ram on a better Mainboard(probably ASUS) increase my systems performace (in gaming/in general) ?

Aaaaand a question, due to the steam sales - Will my PC run "RAGE" on nice graphics/fps ?

Thanks in advance :D

EDIT: by the way am I playing games like The Witcher (+2), Skyrim, Crysis(+Warhead), DeadSpace(+2) - etc. Just to give u guys kind of games I want to play with my PC ;)

Depends on what you call future proof. It's a pretty mid range gaming system today. You will still be able to play new games for around 4 years at reduced settings.

At this moment, your system is pretty balanced CPU and GPU wise. If I were to upgrade, I'd probably go for a new graphics card first, if you could upgrade only 1 component at a time.

Upgrading a motherboard would be a waste: you'd have to buy a compatible one with your current CPU, and AMD CPUs so to say aren't very good performers today. If you were to upgrade the motherboard, I'd make a switch for an Intel system.

TheCrisis

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2013

Thanks for the reply so far :)

But - what do u think, apart from the waste-of-money-aspect, will a new MoBo and change from 4gb ddr2 to ddr3 of 8gb ram increase my systems general performance - or even ingame-fps ?
thanks for help so far ^^

as above points out there is no such thing as future proof. not until they stop developing the hardware which is very unlikely.
as for the ram, it wont give any more performance other then smoothness due to more bandwidth.you wont get any fps increase but the system as a whole will be smoother and have less chance of slowdowns when you open multiple apps.
if you rally want to get perfomance then get a 960 or better cpu with ddr3 1333 ram.

TheCrisis

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2013
thanks for all the constructive replys so far :)

but I have another question - I just played Skyrim, alright.
I'm using 2 monitor's, but on my secondary I just let windows like Skype or taskmanager (or any other comoponent-watching program). But, even if I'm running Skyrim usually on 40 fps minimum, I had terrible laggs. I can't explain it to myself - but could it be that my game loaded its resources out of my harddrive instead of my ram ? (i had an at least 70% usage of ram - while i "out-tabbed"). I guess how this works - if ram is short/not there, the computer loads sth. out of your harddrive, which causes "unsmootheness". (it was kind of unplayable, if my char didnt enter a cave/house)
So, back to my question, will my PC always run the same (kinda good thing) until ALL of my ram is in usage ? Or will it get slower, if ram is short, but still some of it left ?
I hope that last phrase was understandable - can't judge my own style of writing ^^

Skyrim uses above 1 GB of video ram. Your GPU only features 1 GB of video ram. Running another monitor uses more video ram. It's simple enough. :)

TheCrisis

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2013
Ok, ok, ok... ^^
I'm not THAT versed with graphic-card's - I thought i have a relatively good one, nevermind. So, my 1024mb ram video card is also "bottlenecking" my fps (etc).
And does my second monitor such a huge effect on my computers performace ?
I don't get it - I'll make some tests on my own and post my experience later ^^
Thank u so far

still one question left : Will my pc run slower if less ram is left ? or will it perform as great as with much ram left, till ALL the ram is used ?
E.g.: Skype, Steam, Chrome opened - while playing a game. general usage (ingame) of 70%
-> now the same with a general usage of 45% same game, same processes ?
Is there a difference in performance or "smootheness"-ingame ?

yes the vram is bottlenecking your performance. A screen at 1920x1080 usually uses about 100-150 MB of vram running nothing. While Skyrim uses on average 1000-1200 MB of vram.

Your RAM is fine as long as it doesn't run at 100%.

TheCrisis

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2013
oooookaaay - thank you, finally got it ^^
so, if you had my "system" and around 200€ to upgrade it - what would you recommend ?

I would upgrade the GPU to a GTX 660.

But as some of the others mention you should save up. It'll be the best option for you to upgrade in the coming year or in the next.

Some might disagree with me, but I'm just giving you my opinion about the best possible option.

Your gaming rig is pretty 'balanced' right now and adding a better CPU or a better GPU will most likely cause a bottleneck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGdo75gasaQ This video will answer any questions about bottlenecking, if you're in doubt.