Hows this overall build, RATE

samrozzi

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I am in the process of upgrading my pc. my last add on I need is a gfx card since im running a 8500GT lol. so hows this build now with this new gfx card

Antec 900 case
700w rocketfish PSU
AMD Phenom 9500 Quad Core Processor 2.20GHz
3gb RAM
this gfx card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130370
Acer 23 1080p inch monitor
Saitek Eclipse 2
Razer Diamondback 3G

also what kinda game will it run? as far as crysis? farcry 2?

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
That PSU is probably not the best thing for a reliable build. Crysis may be a bit out of your pc's league. I would upgrade the processor to something faster and more current. The graphics card if fine. Otherwise, its hard to judge since we don't know any other of your components.

samrozzi

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
this is my mobo. nothing amazing (or i dont think)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=de&cc=de&docname=c00906129#
how is that?

I plan on getting win 7 64 bit when released to get around 6gb or ram.

I know my processor isnt the BEST but shouldnt it be somewhat decent? I mean atleast for a bit?

people are saying upgrade the CPU but I needed to upgrade my gfx card. I jsut bought that 260 today. I had a 8500GT lol. so I think everyone agrees that shoulda been first.

ir_efrem

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
So you have an HP that you want to upgrade. My opinion, ditch the motherboard completely. If you want to stick with AMD - Make sure to get a Phenom II. If you do not want to overclock, at all, buy the fastest CPU that you can afford. A low end Intel Quad core or mid range dual core will be quite a bit better than what you have now.

If I were in your place, I would NOT use that motherboard much longer. The upgrade path for it is dead completely (please note that I am speaking about that motherboard specifically). I know that a Socket 775 Intel might be dead before long but at least it is a leap in performance from what you have now. A Phenom II (please note that I am saying Phenom 2 (two, II)) will also be a leap in performance from what you have.

Get 4gb of ram now, and do not upgrade to 6gb of RAM, in fact remove that thought from your head completely. The only time you should consider 6gb of RAM is if you are using an Intel I7 CPU. If you have 4gb of RAM and want to upgrade later you can easily add another 4gb. Buy some a standard 2 x 2gb (DDR2 800) Kingston memory kit, it will work in your motherboard now and in any new DDR2 motherboard that you may buy later.

If you want to keep using the motherboard you have now for a little bit longer, do not upgrade the CPU. Your motherboard will only support up to a 5600x2 (no Phenom 1 or 2) and certainly not a quad core Phenom I.

If you need to piece the system together because of affordability problems, then by all means, piece it together. You would be MUCH better served asking what to buy for a new system and give a budget range. People here could help you a lot more.

samrozzi

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
well EVERYTHING in my pc is new and great except mainly the mobo and CPU. which the CPU isnt horrible. but atm im gonna keep them both since i jsut spent 200$ on a gfx card. But when I do upgrade I will just buy a mobo cpu highend kit that has both for a combo.

ir_efrem

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
I must have missed something somewhere....

Did you just buy this system from some one? And did they manage to get a quad core Phenom to work in that motherboard? Is it already in the Antec case?

Um ... I looked at your original post and made some assumptions. I am not sure if the above list is what you want to purchase or what you already have.

If you have all of that already, then I cannot honestly say how well it will play those games. Chances are that you should be able to turn up most graphics details to a minimum of Medium settings and get acceptable frame rates.

samrozzi

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
that posted above is what I have. I built the system. I had an hp higher end pc before that. So i just transferred that mobo and CPU to my antec 900 case

The time to ask for advice is BEFORE you buy.

The GTX260 is a nice jump from the 8500GT. You mostly get what you pay for in vga cards.
If you want to run crysis, you might want to get the best vga card you can afford.

The psu is a tier 5 unit on this list:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
You could have paid much less for a tier 2 unit.

With DDR2 ram so cheap, 4gb (2x2gb) would have been better.

sprucebr1

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
I agree, That PSU needs to change, I believe the GTX260core216 needs like 2x 6pin PCI-E power connectors plus 600watts would be good. Try Corsair, PCP&C, Enermax, or OCZ. The other thing I would also change here would be the CPU. Phenom II's are better. Also you might want to up the RAM to 4GB. DDR2 800/1066 would be kinda cheap now. Hope that helps.