HP’s Elite x3 Smartphone Arrives August 29, Starts at $699

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl Draper

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015
This would be alright (though expensive!) if it weren't a Windows device! It's basically a rip off of the old Motorola Lapdock idea. Windows Phone is practically dead, they're flogging a dead horse!?

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Looks like the Iris scanner shares one of the cameras with the regular selfie cam. Hopefully that won't have an impact on the speed. I think Samsung's will use two dedicated cameras to get faster focus and balance for the task.
Anyhoo, I think this is the only way Windows Phone would stand a chance to get into the game. Make use of the more advanced PC ecosystem with support for those thin client type laptops/tablets. Too bad Intel dropped out of the smartphone race, as an Atom processor would have felt a bit more useful instead of using virtualisation.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006

This is more than your typical Apple or Android smartphone and its not meant for regular consumers (although if regular consumers bought this they would love it).

Its an enterprise level audience this is targeted for.
Also the Windows universal strategy comes into play here as well as HP giving ability to run x86 apps.

I've been using continuum since last year on my 950xl and its leagues above anything Apple or Android has to offer.
Now when I go out of town I only take one device, no more laptop/table/phone combinations.
My phone acts as one device capable of doing everything.

Take all that then sprinkle in the ability to run x86 apps and you have a killer device.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
This is what MS should've done, let you use x86 apps, at least the light ones for productivity.

Give my MPC-BE/Zoomplayer, irfanview, firefox, office and it covers 90% of my non-gaming needs.

alextheblue

Distinguished
The phone seems great still but I heard a rumor it won't support one of the bands required for VZW support. Guess they didn't want to do battle with Verizon to force an unbranded phone onto the network? Time will tell, I hope the rumor is unsubstantiated. On a semi-related note I can't wait for Verizon to allow LTE-only phones and drop the CDMA requirements altogether. I can't even tell you the last time I had a signal that wasn't LTE on a VZW tower.

Well it's got Office, the new UWP version of VLC was just released, there's various image editors, and Edge is good enough for almost any use case on a phone (or even when docked). If you're a power user you'll have a laptop anyway, but otherwise chances are very good it's got what you need. Especially with HP's add-ons.

HyperMatrix

Distinguished
May 23, 2015
Would be good if it weren't using a crappy qualcomm processor. Even Microsoft is waiting for the snapdragon 830 to come out before launching the surface phone.

Really hoping nvidia do an x64 Tegra K1 upgrade on 16nm with Pascal (or preferably, wait for Volta as Pascal is basically the exact same architecture as maxwell but with higher clocks due to node shrink). The only Mobile processor to beat the iPhone processor in single core performance. We need a good alternative to qualcomm CPUs and samsung/mediatek 8-10 core useless monstrosities.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador

HP doesn't have a great track record with Phones or Tablets. Launching a Phone at the same price as top tier models from well respected brands is suicide.. again. I did say again right as they did this before. Also the specs are really nothing better than what is out from other companies. WorkSpace virtualization software is the only selling point but the price should have been at least $100 lower just to get a foot into a flooded market. Windows phones have not been a steller sell, sales have been down right flat, it's more of a annoyance over IOS and Android with the forced updates.

BoredSysAdmin

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
However, HP did reveal that the Elite x3 would be available as a bundle with the Desk Dock (a docking station that the phone sits in that provides USB and DisplayPort connectivity to connect a monitor and peripherals) and a premium headset starting at $799. The HP Elite x3 starts at $699 by itself. The price is far below the $1000 bundle price we had estimated back at MWC, and it’s a welcome surprise for the device given the powerful hardware.

Is there a typo in here somewhere? Dock with headset costs $79 would be a welcome surprise, not at $799

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Like I said good luck with that. The majority of consumers don't outright buy a phone they lease, I don't see any partners listed unless that wasn't added? Physical docking really isn't that much of a selling point now with Wireless charging options, Screen mirroring and NFC, name a high end model at this price range that doesn't support those? Nearly all models in this price range will give you MS Office and for the Headset that isn't anything huge either as you can find great Bluetooth Headsets for $40 and under.

The device isn't bad just not real compelling to buy since there is nothing it does that you can't do with phones in the same price range. A

Status
Not open for further replies.