News HP’s New Monitors Are Certified in Ways You Never Asked For

GenericUser

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
Sounds like an attempt to steer uninformed consumers towards their specific products, who are otherwise on the fence on what to buy and don't have anyone tech literate enough that they can consult to tell them that it's all BS to begin with.

"This is the first certification of its kind, involving extensive testing."

HP: Sends monitor to Zoom.
Zoom: Yep, it's a monitor alright.

It does sound like it probably has a better integrated camera than most laptops, at least, and few desktop monitors include any camera at all. Nothing stands out with the rest of the specs though, which make it sound like a typical 1080p60 budget display, so its value will largely come down to it price relative to the quality of these components.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Sounds like an attempt to steer uninformed consumers towards their specific products, who are otherwise on the fence on what to buy and don't have anyone tech literate enough that they can consult to tell them that it's all BS to begin with.
Look at the promotional picture. This is targeted more at businesses. How often is grandma going to be having Zoom meetings with multiple people? If you have dozens or hundreds of employees that need to be able to video conference, this is a much easier to implement solution than buying monitors, separate webcams and maybe separate speakers as well for everyone.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
"This is the first certification of its kind, involving extensive testing."

HP: Sends monitor to Zoom.
Zoom: Yep, it's a monitor alright.

It does sound like it probably has a better integrated camera than most laptops, at least, and few desktop monitors include any camera at all. Nothing stands out with the rest of the specs though, which make it sound like a typical 1080p60 budget display, so its value will largely come down to it price relative to the quality of these components.

As you said, it is rare for a desktop monitor to have a built in webcam. The certification isn't about being able to view other people on a monitor. Obviously, any monitor can do that. The certification is that this comes with everything you need (screen, webcam, speakers, mic) in one package except the computer itself.

The certification is that this comes with everything you need (screen, webcam, speakers, mic) in one package except the computer itself.
Really though, it sounds like the "certification" was HP's idea, so any certification criteria would be completely arbitrary, based on whatever this first screen had to offer.

It doesn't sound bad for what it is though. Without knowing more about the detailed specs, I could see it being worth something like $300 provided the webcam is decent, even if the display isn't anything special. Though I have suspicions HP will probably be selling it for more than that, since as you said, they are likely targeting businesses. Having everything all in one package might be nice in such a scenario, though it doesn't seem like it would be significantly more complex for a company's IT guy to plug in a standalone webcam and mount in on top of a screen. I suppose we'll have to see how it fares in reviews though.

GenericUser

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
Look at the promotional picture. This is targeted more at businesses. How often is grandma going to be having Zoom meetings with multiple people? If you have dozens or hundreds of employees that need to be able to video conference, this is a much easier to implement solution than buying monitors, separate webcams and maybe separate speakers as well for everyone.

I suppose that makes more sense. When commenting I had in mind the slew of phone calls/texts getting passed to me from family members last year who were finding themselves suddenly teleworking and had no idea what they should buy or use, and the question "will this work with Zoom" kept coming up. Yes, it's a webcam, it's a mic, those are speakers, they're going to work with Zoom, holy crap, stop bothering me.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
This kind of reminds me of some of the IT certifications.... some are legit, but some seem to be "Let's figure out a way to make people expect something on a resume, and charge people to get that something, while not actually providing anything useful."

TRENDING THREADS