HP 1022n printer won't stop printing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whit80

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Installed Windows 7 on one of our PC's today and when I went to set up network printing, the HP 1022n printer I was printing to kept printing out the same job over and over again. If I cancelled the job, it still kept printing, and I had to power off the printer to finally stop it. I've tried uninstalling the driver in Windows 7 and reinstalling it, but it keeps happening. I have other Windows 7 systems using this printer on the network with no problems. Any ideas? Thanks.

dcspamela

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
The fix that worked for everyone else did now work for me. I am using the HP 1022n on the network with Windows 7. When I uncheck the bidirectional printing box, it sets my printer to "offline". There is no option to work "online". I have tried numerous fixes and have not been successful. If I install another printer, I have the same problem...continuously printing a single page print job until I stop the print spooler.

I did reinstall the printer as a local printer. Test pages only print once. Everything else print in perpetuity! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

tniemi

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
For future googlers, solution to this problem.

I had a problem that was driving me crazy: The print job was printing repeatedly until all paper was used.

SOLUTION: Uncheck "Enable bidirectional support"

Step-by-step:

a) Select "Start Menu" > "Devices and Printers"

b) Right-click on the printer name, select "Printer Properties"

c) Choose "Ports" tab

d) From the list, choose the port that is used (Propably an IP number)

e) Make sure that "Enable bidirectional support" is UNCHECKED

f) Click OK and breathe a sigh of relief.

prashsoni9

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

The last part of unmarking two way communication worked for me using 1022n in a LAN network having Win7/WinXP/Win Vista machines and I unmarked on all machines. Also I removed the printer from the laptop from which the original print was given, later reinstalled the printer again and unmarked the two way communication. Thanx for the simple fix saving a lot of time.

santaggiusta

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014

Great to hear it worked for everyone in Windows... has anyone using Mac OSX found a solution? How can bi-directional communication be disabled on OS X driver?

Must say HP truly sucks at support and solving issues with their drivers... this is not the first one that made me spend way too much time on finding a solution. Thanks to everyone for sharing it with the community of unlucky HP customers... I'll test the fix on a client's printer when I will have a chance. As for me, no more HP or Epson... burnt too many times :( I'm giving Brother a chance to prove itself worthy and (knock on wood) while has its own minor quirks, so far so good. Sorry HP and Epson... it's not me, it's you! ;)

amontillado

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
For some reason the above mentioned solution didn't work. When I clear the checkbox and print the printer just blinks but doesn't start printing.
However.. I did find another solution that worked for me. I tried different drivers and with the driver for the laserjet 2200 (pcl5) it all works !!!
It did have a problem with some true type fonts at first but you can change the setting for sending true type fonts to bitmap and all is well.

So just in case the (much easier) earlier solution doesn't work you at least have an alternative

mstreetweb

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
Thank you hcornea. Worked for me too!

peterg87

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014
Hey everyone,

I found another solution to this issue.

I just encountered this printer issue today on one of our HP printer's in one of our offices (HP LaserJet P2035n). I recently set up a new Win 7 PC for one of our office managers and installed this printer as a network printer going through the usual process of Devices and Printers > Right click, add a printer > local port > IP address > printer driver. I downloaded the Win 7 x64 PnP package driver off the hp website to use. After all was installed, I sent a test page and I got an endless stream of test pages until I pulled the print tray out.

I right clicked on the HP printer in devices and printers > Printer properties > ports > configure port > unchecked the "SNMP Status Enabled" box

I still have the "enable bidirectional support" box checked and everything is working fine, only printing one copy.

I tried this out because of an earlier issue with a few of our Sharp copiers where on some PCs, the copier was seen as offline. However, when I did the same thing and unchecked the SNMP status enabled box for the Sharp, it automatically came back online on the PC I was working on. Seems to be some kind of bug with the SNMP status and a specific model of printer. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.