hp 1320

I know this is rather old ground, but my habit with previous laser printers
has been to switch them off at the end of the day, since I could hear the fan
going and the whole thing seemed to be in a 'running' state. My hp 1320
seems to go to sleep after a while and is pretty silent- is it OK to leave it
on 24/7, or would that shorten its life?

If a laser printer has a power save option, it is perfectly OK to leave it
powered 24/7. The major risk of failure is a spike in the electrical power.

.... Ben Myers